Topic

Adventures in mini writing supplies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adventures in mini writing supplies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Did some urban adventures with the family over the weekend and found a couple mini items:

University book stores are always good for gadgets, art supplies and endless pens and pencils. I found the blue mini MILAN touch pen in the photo below. 6.5g/0.23oz, 105mm/4.25" long, $0.99.

The black rectangle on top of the credit card is a 31 page (!!!) note book: 80mmx55mmx1.5mm and 6g. From http://www.midori-japan.co.jp as a Memorandum Card I found it in Uwajimaya, one my favorite Asian markets with a large stationery section.

Mini writing tools

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Now all you need are some tiny little T-Rex-proportioned hands and you will be all set.

I recently got some 3×5 inch notebooks and decided that was about as small as I could go.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Oh, I hear that. Emphasis on notes vs paragraphs. Of course just right for a haiku :) UL hikers should all become masters of writing haiku, the UL poetry form and a perfect creative form for lovers of nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

48 pages, waterproof paper and other info on the covers with dots to make a grid-like, but not graph paper notebook. you get three for $10. I am super happy as they are lighter and cheaper than the field notes i have. I have the Japanese memo pad in credit card size Dale presented in the OP on order. I think it'll be great for when i need to note a phone number or similar info on the quick.fieldnotes

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I've been using a number of Rite in the Rain mini notebooks (eg 135) for years on long trips. With a cut down Pilot BP-S Fine biro. Waterproof.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I thought we resolved this last year, especially for JMT hikers.

blackwing

onion skin paper

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

What I would really like is a shorty mechanical pencil with a reversible cap to make it full length for writing. Basically, a Fischer bullet pen, but a pencil. I've looked in vain for something like this.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Are Nick and I the only ones with style around here?
    I'm into vintage typewriters.

My favorite portable model is my Remington Rand. I believe it's about as miniature as they came in the 1940s. Paired with a stack of onionskin paper and the locking carrying case that it comes in, I'm in business for some serious backcountry writing. It's only 2.5X my base weight. There's nothing like the sound of hammering keys beside an alpine lake at 3AM.

Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

Hahahahahaha

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I don't use it for backpacking but the Pilot Petit1 fountain pen would be a bit different for someone. about 10g

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Petit1-Mini-Fountain-Pens/ct/1200

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

What are we writing for? I just carry a golf pencil and about 5 post-its, but I don't keep a diary or take field notes.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"What are we writing for?"

I'll argue that paper and pencil can be the most helpful first aid / emergency supply. A little less now in an age of cell phone and SPOT devices, but back when messages got relayed by humans, it was amazing how the story could change with just a few people involved. Passing an original note avoid that. A note left at a trail junction sign or on a car can communicate so much better than a arrow created from sticks and rocks.

That said, with a mini-sharpie along, anything is paper (hat, sleeve, rock, skin of your arm, pot lid, smooth stick, underwear waist band, etc.)

For the same reason, I prefer texts for critical communications than rather voice calls. A friend made a lame joke over a bad phone connection just before the connection failed and was surprised when a helicopter showed up 30 minutes later. His supervisor was not amused.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

There are many small notebooks from Rite in the Rain and Moleskine, but I haven't seen another 6g version.

I did find a Moleskine app!

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

For writing instrument I've been using a free ballpoint pen I received, these are pretty common promo items (printed with company logos and such). It's a standard click-top ballpoint, the main barrel is made of a thin tube of cardboard, I believe to convey that the company giving the pen away is eco-friendly. Full length 5.5" long for a good "hand feel", 5g on the scale.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

What famous author named themselves after an Remington Rand Typewriter. I don't think you'll like the answer…

:)

But you do have style!

You forgot to mention if you use a frameless or framed pack to carry it.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Not Ayn Rand.

From: http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_ayn_rand_faq_index2

"What is the origin of “Rand”?

[From ARI’s monthly newsletter Impact, 06/2000]
    “Ayn Rand, born Alisa Rosenbaum, based her professional first name on a Finnish one [see above]. The source of her last name, however, has been a mystery.

“Although its origin is still uncertain, recent biographical research by Drs. Allan Gotthelf and Michael Berliner has eliminated one possible source. An oft-repeated story claims that Ayn Rand took her last name from her Remington Rand typewriter while she was living in Chicago in 1926. This is false and we would like to put the error to rest.

“While still in Russia, c. 1925, and long before Remington-Rand typewriters were produced, Alisa Rosenbaum had adopted the name ‘Rand.’ Letters written in 1926 from Ayn Rand’s family in Russia already refer to the name ‘Rand.’ These were sent from Russia before Ayn Rand had communicated from America. The Remington and Rand companies did not merge until 1927; ‘Rand’ did not appear on their (or any) typewriters until the early 1930s."

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I grabbed the Blackwing 602's as a joke to throw in with Gear Swaps, but I actually use them almost daily and am growing attached…

Moleskine makes a tiny notebook, I use it for recipes and notes throughout the day. There's a Space Pen in my wallet that has never ceased to be useful.

When the going gets tough, though… I break out the Lamy Safari:

jkubk

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

There's no end to gathering pens :)

I once had a temp job assisting in the move of several offices of a merged company to one large campus. One of my tasks was to clean out the desks and office supplies of several floors of offices formerly occupied by RIF'ed staff in HR and accounting. There were used pens galore. I also purchased supplies for a couple large offices and office supply reps were forever handing out samples. My current selection is a ghost of what I had years ago.

My Rotring Core pens will kick your Lamy's derriere :)
    Pens!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools