Topic

Eating Good

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Packing for an upcoming trip on the PCT:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Not the lightest food wise, but I will be eating good ;-) Almost vegetarian this time as well (two tiny things of tuna lunch spreads are my only meat).

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

That would be "Eating well". :-D>

Looks delicious (except possibly the French Vanilla Coffee—-but whatever spins one's frisbee?), do you do backcountry catering?

How long is the trip? And do you chart calories/protein/etc. and weight per day per person?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ok, ok…you are right ;-)

It is pretty high in protein, a lot of pasta, beans, etc.

It isn't a long trip, 4 days on the PCT. Can't wait though!
    I need to run the calories, but from what I can tell at this point, maybe 2500K or more per day. I don't need as much as you guys ;-)

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

Sarah, is the pasta add-H2O-and-set, or boil-in-the-pot? Are you using alcohol, Esbits or a woodstove? Thanks.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Heather, all the pasta is ready to go, add H20 :-) I cook up and dry a couple lbs every month usually.

I am actually being bad and taking my Primus canister stove, since I want to use my Fauxbaker and make cake and biscuits at night (yeah, light the food it isn't! I packed stuff like Nutella and honey packets for my biscuits). Still, 7 1/2 lbs isn't too bad weightwise for 4 days.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I really like Nutella! Here's a neat thing to do if you like Reeses peanut butter cups:

Take a small container of peanut butter, and empty out the center, leaving a small hole in the center of the container. Then take a container of Nutella and heat it in the microwave, just enough so the nutella can be poured. Then pour the nutella into the peanut butter hole to fill it. It will set up when cool.

This makes a delicious spread.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ok, that I have to do! I love Nutella. There is also another brand I get at an Asian shop from the Netherlands, Penotti "Duo Penotti" that is a striped delight of white and brown. Now, that stuff is crack. $6 a stinking jar as well!
    http://www.penotti.nl/home.html

Miguel Marcos

@miguelmarcos

Locale: Middle Iberia

There's a fine Catalonian chocolate shop here in Madrid that makes their own 'nutella'. I have had none better or more dangerous; it is very hard to leave the jar untouched for too long. They also make a variety with peanuts instead of hazelnuts. Man…

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

Sarah, I knew I should have bought that dehydrator at the Boy Scouts' yard sale!
    Daniel, I am filing away the peanut-butter-and-Nutella idea. But who said you need to spread Nutella *on* anything? ;-) Tastes great on a spoon, with summit views…

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Yeah, you can eat right out of the container too. But keep in mind that peanut butter (and I would assume nutella also) can be stored unrefrigerated as long as you don't double dip into the container. Once you do that it can spoil. Of course you can just finish the entire container :)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Yum! Are you stuffing all that in your MS Sereph? If so, there's hope for me, too!

I'll be doing the AT for about 5 days in the Mt Rogers area to Damascus. I've got a Sereph as well.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Hey – y'all should search out the GROOVY-BIOTIC article here on BPL. Lotsa tested insights.

link:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/quick_healthy_meals_with_an_ultralight_cook_kit.html

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I got everything inside my Seraph! (Ok, I was shocked!) It is much smaller than my old Ghost. But, yay, I did it! AlL i have outside is my sit pad on the bottom straps, and my Croc shoes on the back.
    I am going to be trying to keep up with mostly long legged men, so light is essential for me. Ugh!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Mike, I love that article, when it went up originally, I loved the drawings!
    I'd say our only difference in cooking styles is my use of bags versus inpot cooking :-)

Miguel Marcos

@miguelmarcos

Locale: Middle Iberia

I've taken away a few ideas for my trip in a couple of weeks. The spackle, sauces, polenta. It's a great article!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools