Topic

Ursacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I will be hiking the JMT this coming July and was hoping I could finally use my Ursack instead of my bear canister. I went to their website to see if that would be possible. It looks like you can't use them in Yosemite but can be used on other parts of the trail. Am I reading this right? I will be starting out in the park, of course. Aren't there bear boxes in the camp ground?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

A canister is required only in Yosemite NP, and the 34 mile stretch between Pinchot Pass and Forester Pass. But you will have more flexibility if you have one for the entire trip, IMHO.

There are many threads debating this topic. Search around for "JMT canister".

Edit: …and from Whitney Junction to the Portal.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Thanks Greg for the info..

Dave T

@davet

This is for Web Site/Forum issues.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Seki's requires a canister in some areas. In the rest of the park they would require either a canister or hanging your food via their approved counterbalance method. (or using one of the steel bear lockers provided by the park in limited locations)

They do not want you using an Ursak tied to a branch or a trunk, the way Ursak recommends. If you use it and you want to be legal, you will have to use it as one of the counter balance sacks.

Billy

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@crazyhikerlady

Thanks Billy for the info. Hopefully, someday, Ursacks will be allowed everywhere.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools