Topic

Winter biking Tuolumne Meadows

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Winter biking Tuolumne Meadows

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ryan walker
    BPL Member

@bxstr373

So, We have a closed road (hwy 120) from crane flat to Tuolumne meadows And there cant be much if any snow on it right now. I am going to call the Yosemite NPS to ask them about this tomorrow. Why not take advantage of this fact and bicycle to Tuolumne on a closed private road to a place with no one there? Would anyone be interested. Does anyone have any input on this? I have never camped Via bike before but would be interested in taking advantage of this opportunity.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

I like your thinking!

let us know what you find out.

I'd be interested in going.

Dave T

@davet

I sure think you can't do this, although there is a time in the spring (usually April) for a few days where you can ride the road from Crane up to Tioga.

But please let me know what you find out!

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/tmconditions.htm

about the most recent info you will find

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The part about the mountain lion kill sounded good. We ought to send Katharina up there.

–B.G.–

ryan walker
    BPL Member

@bxstr373

I need to call another number when I get a chance but from the sounds of it, We can. We would be able to as long as we can make it, meaning the road is clear enough. No biking off the road. The ranger I talked to in the permit office said a month ago it was barely skiable past where they had plowed. By now maybe no snow?? We would need to investigate a bit more what the conditions would be. I would use a cyclecross bike and would be willing to go through some snow if it is possible. It would be hard packed for sure if there was any. Let me know who would be interested for Feb 7-9th or feb 14-16th.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The only problem will be if there is just a hint of snow that gets frozen onto the pavement as black ice under the trees. You go through that patch and you will find out the meaning of road rash.

–B.G.–

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"It would be hard packed for sure if there was any."

Not necessarily. I was up at 9 to 10,000 feet yesterday on Mt Rose and some of the untracked snow at that elevation was still soft…. breakable crust. It depends of the exposure aspect AND temperature. I doubt that all of the Tuolumne road has the perfect exposure to create bare road or hard snow.

Billy

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Tioga Road at Olmstead Point had about 10" of consolidated snow on Christmas. There were several large bare spots on the road visible from the point. I wouldn't be surprised if sunny aspects were completely melted out by now.

ryan walker
    BPL Member

@bxstr373

I think I will be going for it in three to four weeks and simply find out how far I can make it (if it doesnt snow (Much)). If I do not get far, then Ill head back to the car. If I get a good ways. I simply find the best place to camp that I can.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools