Topic

Any way to use fixed-length trekking poles with the GoLite Shangri-La 2?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I'm in the market for a new set of trekking poles to replace my $20 Amazon starters. I've found that I never adjust the length, so I'd be open to using fixed-length or z-poles. The problem is, my primary shelter is a GoLite Shangri-La 2, which uses both trekking poles as supports and needs them to be 134 cm at the top end, less if I want it pitched low.

What are my options? Would it be best to just stick with adjustable poles, or is there a good way to make a fixed-length pole adjustable for the purpose of pitching my shelter? Basically I think I'm looking for something like an adjustable extender.

James Cahill BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 3:41 pm

If your poles are too short, you can use pole extenders (or regular aluminum tube) over the tip of you poles to get them to the length you need. Or you can just stack rocks underneath your poles.

If your poles are too long, you can always angle them to one side. If you angle them to opposite sides, you may be able to sleep more in the middle.

EDIT – adjustable extenders: Keep a fixed length and move you poles side to side as needed. No reason to get some finicky extender that is adjustable on its own

Brad Rogers BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm

You could get an extender that is the highest you would ever need and just slant the pole slightly if you want to pitch it closer to the ground.

PostedJan 17, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I can't believe I didn't think of slanting the poles! Duh. Thanks for the help, I just ordered a pair of Z-poles from REI to try out.

David Chenault BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2014 at 7:40 am

Slant the poles. Handles up in the peaks, tips pointed towards each other. Very easy and effective. When the shelter stretches a bit in the rain you can tighten it by moving one pole up a hair.

PostedJan 18, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Sounds good! Any experiences or tips on what materials I should use to make my own extenders?

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Rig them from the outside, with a line up and through the strap or tied off at a handy height.

You might find a appropriate sticks close to camp and trim it to fit with the saw on your Swiss Army knife.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...