Topic

Pack for Snow Camping/Mountain Approach — ULA Catalyst?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Bruce Tolley BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 11:24 am

While I have gone to frameless packs for my three season packing, I have stuck with my trusty Osprey 60 liter Atmos for snow camping.

Now I am wondering if I can go lower that the 4 plus pounds the Atmos weighs. But I still need to be able to strap onto the outside of the pack the following items
– snow shovel blade and handle (disassembled into two parts)
– snow shoes when walking with boots
-crampons when walking with snow shoes
– trekking poles when moving with the ice axe
– wag bag

Depending on the length of the trip and how much common gear I am carrying, the pack needs to carry 18 to 30 pounds.
I fill up most of the Atmos' main bag but could probably get by if the main bag held 50 liters if the extension tube and other pockets added storage. The ULA Catalyst looks possible but I cannot tell from the photos on the web if there is room to strap on snow shoes and snow shovel.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Ian BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 11:56 am

Bruce,

Watching this thread with some interest.

From my few dealings with Chris from ULA, he's quick to respond to emails and very helpful. I'm sure you'll find someone on here who's used this pack in that capacity but I'm sure Chris can offer some additional insight to what you find here.

I've been really happy with the Ohm 2.0 but wouldn't want to secure anything more than trekking poles under its cord compression system. I've pondered the idea of using a fastex buckle with the compression strap of the Circuit or Catalyst as a means to loop it through snow shoes and then re-fasten it to the pack.

dirtbag BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I just did a weekend in the Catskills, NY useing my ULA CDT pack. My pack weight, including food and water, my crampons, micro spikes and snow shoes weighed in at 23 lbs. Pack was packed FULL but it handled the load perfect. I think the pack you are asking about is larger then the CDT, so depending on what you bring and how you pack, I'd say try it out.

Ike Jutkowitz BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Take a look at the HMG porter as well. I've got one of the original expedition packs (now porter 4400) and its been my go-to pack for pack rafting, winter camping, and family sherpa duty. High capacity for bulky winter insulation. The numerous compression straps and daisy chains make a great platform for strapping on skis, snowshoes, paddles, shovels, etc. Practically waterproof too which can be useful for snow travel.

Ian BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Ike,

What pack is that in your avatar?

Tad Englund BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Bruce,
here is a picture showing a Catalyst with all the things on your list strapped to the outside of it.
Will everything on your list be able to starp to the pack? In a word, yes. With no worries.

Catalyst for winter

I didn't even use the front pocket which could hold the shovel blade

chris smead BPL Member
PostedJan 17, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I use the catalyst for winter stuff and I think it works great.
I've loaded it with an ice axe, crampons, and snowshoes.
Also carried my trekking poles/snowshoes without issue.
I didn't bring a real snow shovel though…Just a little snow claw, so I can't comment on that part.

Sorry i don't have pics…but you can kind of see it about 10 seconds into this video:

Adam G BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I too am interested in the Catalyst as replacing my old Osprey Aether 70. I calculate that my max weight will be in 35-40 range (either desert hiking with lots of water or winter hiking with 4 season tent and quite a bit of gear). Average weight for a run-of-the-hill trip would be 30-35 lbs. I know the specs online say it is, but is this doable in reality?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...