Topic

Routes below/near the snow line for winter backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Routes below/near the snow line for winter backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

The options for winter backpacking in the bay area are somewhat lame.

It would be nice to find some trails that were around the snow line …

Anyone have a good route they can propose?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Trouble is that the snow line is constantly changing (well, it is in a normal winter..). what I would be looking at are coast range areas, especially Ventana Wilderness and points south. Unless you want to go soon, in which case there are a lot of areas with little enough snow that you can still get around easily without skis or snowshoes.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I respectfully disagree with your comment "The options for winter backpacking in the bay area are somewhat lame." I think winter is a fabulous time to backpack in the Bay Area. Different strokes for different folks :)

A few Bay Area routes I would propose, in case you haven't already considered them:

SF to Monterey via the coast. Part 1, and Part 2.

Circumambulation of the Point Reyes peninsula.

Many routes in Ventana. Have you already hiked in the Silver Creek Wilderness area? I assume you've spent a night on top of Junipero Serra already? (I have no trip report, as we still weren't carrying a camera the last time we were there.)

A non-standard route to the east side of Coe.

So many routes through Marin, hard to recommend any particular one. This one was our most recent. Or this nice loop from the city has a lot going for it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools