Topic

2014 Osprey Exos 48

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2014 Osprey Exos 48

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

REI had this available online only for about a week, now looks sold out online.

Anyone pick one up yet or plan to? Im not sure when it will be available in stores. I would be interested in detailed reviews on this item if anyone has one or has a link to such reviews, thanks.

I was looking at this or the ULA Circuit. Unfortunately I cannot see the Circuit without buying it first but seems like everyone liked it over the 2013 Exos 46. I am hoping the waist strap was updated in the 2014 version, that seemed like what everyone complained about the most.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm interested in the EXOS 58, size Large, for its good capacity-to-weight ratio.

But so far I've seen no sales on it, likely because it's so new.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

I own a ULA Circuit and love it for 3 season adventures. I too bought it sight unseen based off of reviews on the net and a recommendation from a friend that has one. Interested in checking out the new Osprey as well.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Can I ask a naive question? This is a good looking pack. However, I've used the HMG line for so long, I forget what folks around here do with packs that are not waterproof? Do you just use an internal liner to keep things dry and allow the pack to soak up water and get heavier when it rains? Do you actually carry a rain pack cover? Do you do both? Do you treat the pack with DWR spray?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

An unscented trash compactor bag is my favorite. I put my sleeping bag and extra clothing in one, twist up the top and tuck the twisted material in alongside the bag. It will even stand up to dunking and days of rain. The trash compactor material is designed to stretch, so it gives with the lumps and bumps. They are white, so you have a prayer of seeing what's inside.

If you want to try one, PM me and I'll PIF one to you. I bought a whole box to help my daughter move and only used half the box. 2.4oz for the ones I have– got 'em at Lowe's.

Modern coated pack cloth doesn't soak up too much water, but unless your pack has sealed seams and a roll top that rolls over about three times, it will eventually leak. You can quote me on this: water is thin :)

The back panel and shoulder strap padding getting wet is the bad part. If you wear a rain shell and hike in the rain, you have nice wet padding when it quits. Nothing like cold wet 3-D mesh when wearing a base layer. If you use a poncho that doesn't happen– the whole pack stays dry.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I have both the Exos and the Circuit. I find the Circuit's hip belt and suspension to be more comfortable if carrying over 20 lbs than the Exos. The Exos is typical Osprey–good looking and loaded with pockets and straps but this pack is one of their UL attempts and therefore not very beefy. I reach for the Circuit for myself and loan out the Exos ; )

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I can't quit tell from the pictures provided but it looks like the hipbelt has changed a bit. That might be a big improvement. I tried an Exos on at REI. The hipbelt was so flimsy I didn't feel like the frame was helping much. The newer hipbelt LOOKS nicer, I'll be interested to see how it works in practice. I think an even better idea would be to have a belt connect directly to the frame like on traditional external frame packs.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"The Exos is typical Osprey–good looking and loaded with pockets and straps"

I think that's a great summary of Osprey packs. However as others have said this new Exos does appear to have a more substantial harness. I'd be interested to try it on.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Exos 38

Size cu. in. liter lbs/oz kg.
    S 2197 36 2/3 1.01
    M 2319 38 2/5 1.05
    L 2441 40 2/6 1.09

Exos 48

S 2746 45 2/6 1.08
    M 2929 48 2/8 1.13
    L 3112 51 2/10 1.19

Exos 58

S 3356 55 2/8 1.15
    M 3539 58 2/10 1.20
    L 3722 61 2/12 1.25

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe the weight listed for the medium is incorrect on the Osprey site. They have it at 2lbs 8oz but the manual that you can download on the same page pegs it at 2lbs 5oz.

After it is stripped of straps and lid it is supposed to be around 2lbs 1oz.

REI also shows the medium as 2lbs 5oz.

I guess I will just have to wait to see reviews to see if there are any improvements on this pack. I may just bite the bullet on the weight savings and just get the Atmos which sounds more robust.

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

Locale: Flatlands of Virginia

look at the 2014 Talon 44. It's about the same weight as the Exos 48, but I believe it is supposed to be better for heavier loads. I bought the old model for $99 at REI a couple of weeks ago, and it felt great under load in the store, but I haven't been able to go backpacking with it.

It felt much better on me than the old exos 48 I tried the same trip to REI, btw.

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

IMO Osprey Exos is great, very comfortable compared to a frameless pack I tried (GoLite Jam 50L). Had enough of Jam after one trip in Grand Canyon.

Ospreys have all these silly bells and whistles and the top lids are all weird and ice axe loops on some models are useless (do designers even know what those are for?), but their suspension is superb. The ventilated back is awesome as well (I hike in desert).

Looks like in the new model they used more substantial webbing for belt, nice. I wonder what weight is compared to the old model (Exos 58, 1060 grams with no lid).

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I love my exos 58 and 34. not sure what is weird about the lid. it is easily removable for folks who don't want it. i like the organization of pockets.

ice axe loops are great for the people who need them.. ie PCT.. CDT. do you just not know how they work?
    http://www.summithut.com/img/37/251/73DD/42106/1000w.jpg
    (not exos but same basic stuff)

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

The lid just does not fit very well on all Ospreys, it's too small, too shallow and the attachment points are marginal. Yes, I typically leave the top lid home anyway for weight savings. I would love to see an extension collar instead, however.

The Exos series actually has usable axe loops, the top attachment does exist. The Aether series is just plain missing the top clip for axe, so as soon as you open the lid the axe falls out. Seriously? One is supposed to use one of the side straps or the lid to hold the axe? I am pretty sure the designers sort of saw axe loops somewhere, but did not actually know what these are for. Cargo cult style.

I would rather have less silly stuff on ultralight Ospreys (the poles attachment that does not work all that well, the little camera pocket on shoulder strap, the sleeping pad loops). But I understand, they would not be able to sell them otherwise. And if you don't like it, just take a hot knife and cut it off.

Oh, another complaint I have for Exos 58 is its shape. It's too wide and too deep (places weight too far from my back), so it turns into a watermelon shape every time I pack it. I would rather see a narrower and taller main compartment. Again, an extension collar would be nice. Looks like a pack from 1950-ies :)

Still, all that said, Ospreys are so comfortable for me, I forgive all their issues.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

It looks like the new 58 isn't any much lighter than my old 58, at least prior to the removal of stuff. Thanks Aaron for pointing out that weight discrepancy. Excited to see a new waist strap since that is maybe the weakest link on the original Exos. It will be nice to see one in the stores.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I use the now "old" 46 and 58. Originally, the big seller for me was the ventilation for the user's back.

Like the toplid, and frame on the new ones. Frame system also does away with the center support piece that could fall out if the frame was flexed. The "flapjacket" feature could be handy, and the hipbelt appears to be both more supportive and more well supported in relation to the suspended mesh backpanel. Also like the larger buckle and streamlining of the hipbelt strap and its adjustment.

Not sure about the side pockets and extended compression straps.

Dislike the "graphics", but they're not really important.
    Dislike, make that HATE, their doing away with the outside zippered pockets. The dual vertical pockets on the 58, especially, as I find them the single most convenient feature of that pack in use. In the event something happened to mine, I would now shop for the older version or an alternative, rather than automatically buying a new Exos 58.

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

In general, I am against bells and whistles, but I have to admit that I have been using those zippered external front pockets on my Exos 58 a lot. I keep there a map set, trail food or what not I want to have quickly available. Agreed, too bad the pockets are gone. Hopefully at least this translates into some weight savings…

Oh, and the frame crossmember on the old model is a pain, keeps popping out all the time. Good riddance.

P.S. I wonder, is there a way to give Osprey feedback?

David Ure

@familyguy

The lightweight Osprey packs are overburdened with gimmicky crap. Better use of the weight would be in an effective suspension (this would include better belt and shoulder strap padding).

At least their warranty is good.

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

are in fact gone for the new pack. I called up Osprey to be certain. I liked them on the old version but likely all the new changes will still make this a winner.

Andy Riese
    BPL Member

@andystrwake

Locale: Southeast

Rei had the the exos online again today. I pulled the trigger on the 58. Item is back ordered but at least I was able to order it!

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

The side compression strap goes over the water bottle mesh pocket? Am I seeing it wrong?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

If it is the same as the older versions you can route it either way. inside or outside.

Jake S

@spags

"The lightweight Osprey packs are overburdened with gimmicky crap. Better use of the weight would be in an effective suspension (this would include better belt and shoulder strap padding)."

The Hornet series is basically the exos without the gimmicks. No one seems to want to talk about them though, because the people who talk osprey all seem to want some sort of suspension beyond the hornet's foam pad.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools