Topic

MYOG stuff sack & bathtub groundsheet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG stuff sack & bathtub groundsheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

Here are the photos of my first attempts at sewing. Warning: the following pictures may contain some awful sewing! Final weight of groundsheet in stuff sack is 138g so it's just under 5oz which I'm pretty happy with. I think I'm going to add some sort of rod or tubing to each corner to keep the sides a bit higher and tighter, just can't decide what to use!

stuffsack
    groundsheet
    bathtub
    side groundsheet

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

Locale: Midwest, US

Very nice looking for your first attempt.

I use plastic welding rods in the corners for bathtub sheets. After your first row of stitching for the corners, I place a 2nd row just far enough apart of the plastic rod and then sew it closed after inserting. You can pick up a large package of them for like 5 bucks at a hardware store and they are pretty easy to cut with a pair of scissors.

A shock cord loop at the tie outs would help to maintain tension on the sides as the silnylon stretches.

I remember my first stuff sack I made. You couldn't find a straight stitch anywhere. I actually still have it. I keep all of my sewing feet in it. In fact, I just looked at the stitching this morning and shook my head.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice!

And you used contrasting color thread so we can see where the seams are : )

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

Funnily enough I had actually considered plastic welding rods for the corners already Jared but never having seen what they are I dismissed them! I'll order some now.

It's not actually silnylon so I'm hoping there won't be much stretch, I think it's PU coated.

I didn't try too hard to get the hemming perfect because the fabric only cost me £2.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools