Topic

sharing resupply service JMT at Le Conte Canyon Ranger Station?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition sharing resupply service JMT at Le Conte Canyon Ranger Station?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Would any JMT or PCT hiker be interested in sharing the fees for a resupply at the Le Conte Canyon Ranger Station on July 10th?

I'm interested in the service of Rainbow Packers, but I find $ 600 too much for us two people. I hope to find two other parties to share with.

Our date of July 10th isn't flexible though.

Marla

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

How much food weight are you trying to get hauled in?

–B.G.–

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

$600 – Yikes! I can fully understand trying to defray the cost of that.

Last time I took my family to do the JMT we did a pack train resupply, but it didn't cost that much … I guess the jump in cost is a classic case of supply and demand (smile).
    My family & I are going to do the JMT again later in the season this summer … I'll have to research those resupply costs, may be better to hike out to resupply or just carry the extra food weight.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Don't know if you already looked into Parcher's. (760) 873-4177. In 2012 they offered packing services. I assume they still do, even though its not listed on their web site. Can't hurt to call and find out.

The price for any packer will be high because to get to Le Conte, they have to overnight.

Is a drop in Dusy Basin or atop Bishop Pass an option for you? The packers are happy to do it and would about halve your cost.

Best of luck in figuring this out.

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Hi Bob,

For the two of us we probably need to bring only 35 pounds. The price is based on a maximum weight of 150 pounds, so there is room enough for some others.

Kent, thanks for the advice about Parchers. I will ask them too.

Indeed we will consider meeting the pack service at Bishops Pass because of the costs, but not having to get up for resupply would be more convenient of course.

Marla

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Marla, a couple of years ago I was backpacking along there, and I stopped for the night close to the LeConte Ranger Station. I walked over to talk to the ranger. As we talked, another guy walked up. He had been expecting some packer service to drop his food resupply there that day at noon, and this was already 6 p.m. and no show. So, the guy was a little worried and a little hungry. He was asking the ranger for advice on what he should do. The ranger didn't have much to say about the mules. However, the ranger said that she had just come on duty for two weeks there at LeConte, and she had just carried in her own food, and that she had a lot that she could share. I just stood there and watched. The ranger proceded to show the backpacker every package of food that she had in her own extra large Bearikade, trying to "sell" him on a handout to get him through the night. Eventually the guy took two packages of something, thanked the ranger, and disappeared. I hope that you don't get caught the same way.

I know a guy who might be interested in carrying in 35 pounds on foot from South Lake, if the price were right. That would depend somewhat on the firmness of your date and how that matched his availability.

–B.G.–

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Hi Bob,

Being very hungry while having arranged a resupply is a nightmare of course.

I'm interested in the South Lake guy you mentioned.
    Can you send me a PM (as I cannot send one to you, I just discovered)?

Marla

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Marla,
    From time to time I have heard of 'porters' hiking in food caches for people.
    Mostly, people willing to do this live in one of the east side towns like Bishop.

Maybe you could make a few calls… like to the Inyo ranger station in Bishop, to Wilson's Eastside Sports, etc.? Also check other web sites… hiking or climber sites.

It may be that this is a bit early to find a porter as in many cases it may be a thing they decide to offer later in the spring or summer.

If you find someone please post it here as a resource.

thanks,

Billy

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Kent,

I asked Parchers about their services and received an answer.
    Parchers will keep a resupply package in store, but they don't deliver (anymore).

Marla

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Could be that Parcher's has an employee that would like to porter for some extra money?
    But may not know that until they come to work in the early summer… likely far after you will have to make a deposit with a packer.

Billy

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Could be but how would I ever know …? ;)

Marla

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

this seems like an awful lot of time, energy, and money just to keep from carrying an extra few days food.

what pace will you be moving ?

are you going north or south ?

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Please … don't go that way!

In 2012 I did it all by myself. Now I'm going with someone who might not be able to carry food for more than say 7 days. And even if we can, it's all our choice.

My question was not meant to let others discuss our pace nor our physical possibilities, not the weight itself nor the choices we make concerning the weight to carry.

So I'm glad if you want to be helpful, but please stick to the resupply question.

Marla

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Suggest you also contact Dee Berner. They have a manned pack stations at Pine Creek and Onion Valley and also do on-trail resupply (or did as of 2011).

email to [email protected] or [email protected]; Phone at 800-962-0775, 760-387-2627, 760-387-2797; or mail requests to PO Box 968, Bishop, CA 93515.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Marla,

You could call around and ask… Parcher's late spring after they've hired their summer help… Wilson's East Side sports… Ranger Stations… all the backpacking shops in Mammoth… the east side shuttle services…. search the web for east side town bulletin boards… Chamber of Commerce… etc. These are small towns and I'm sure they will be helpful if they know someone that wants to make a few extra bucks…

but problem may be that these places may not hire their summer work until after you would have to make a deposit with your packer… or any potential porters may not decide to offer this service until after your deposit is due… its a problem…

So to answer your question:Could be but how would I ever know …? ;)
    You have to call and ask a lot of places/people…

Or/And…. maybe post here and other backpacking web sites and offer, say, $200 for a porter… worth a try… maybe someone can combine it with their own trip and make some extra cash to pay for gear…

good luck…

Billy

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

"So to answer your question:Could be but how would I ever know …? ;)
    You have to call and ask a lot of places/people…"

Would be a good idea if I lived nearby, but I live in Europe.

Marla

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Marla: I could potentially find a San-Francisco-based hiker who jump at $200 to be a porter. I would have as a college student 30 years ago, am still in touch with the UC Berkeley Hiking Club, and act as a porter for BPLers in Alaska at times (for free).

Bob: What is the mileage and elevation change for a porter's road trip?

Everyone: for some reason it makes me happy that some poor hikers are supporting themselves, in part, by being human pack mules.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

David, I have explained to Marla that I have a friend who is currently at Mammoth, trying to eke out a living in the nonexistent ski business. One idea would be that I get the food package from Marla and drive it over to the east side to hand it off to my friend at South Lake. It gets carried over the pass to LeConte, which is about 10 miles plus a bunch of elevation gain (Bishop Pass is about 12,000'). I think some kind of deal is being negotiated shortly. Then I would be the backup porter, if it came to that. I was hoping to see my friend get a new source of revenue to fund him when he and I go together on some other adventures which would follow this mission.

–B.G.–

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Thanks, David.

That is also a good suggestion and a reasonable price.
    Good to hear what students do to for their money. Having some private fun with hiking and creating some income must be a good combination for physically fit students.

First I will work out Bob's offer.

Marla

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

More than two months later…

I thought Bob and I developed a reasonable solution for a resupply but the deals's off unfortunately (to my surprise and dismay).

We are looking for other people to share the resuplly at Charlotte Lake on July 17th.
    So if anyone is interested, please contact me!

About the other suggestions:
    I already tried to join the Yahoo JMT group, but there seems to be a technical problem and I emailed the owner of the group

I will also contact David by PM.

Marla

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

Hi Marla. Hopefully this option is not off subject too much. Hiking over Kearsarge Pass to resupply in Independence requires seven miles one-way from the JMT to the trailhead at Onion Valley. You can then hitch a ride to pick up your resupply at the post office or at the Mt. Williamson Motel. The motel can hold your resupply for $50. They also advertise a package deal (http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/resupply/) to pick you up and drop you off at the trailhead, provide lodging, breakfast, laundry facilities, etc., for $175 single or $275 double occupancy. I have not used this service myself, but it avoids the problem of hoping your resupply service shows up when they are supposed to and you are out of food.

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Thanks, Bob.

Yes, indeed it is a little bit off subject, because were are not interested in getting of the trail.

And for the prices you mention we surely get some kind of resupply arranged while not having to leave the trail.
    Thanks anway!

Marla

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

holy cow that's expensive. I would pack in 35 pounds of resupply for less than half that cost… hey that sounds like a good way to make some extra cash, and you would be hiking so you could hardly call it work.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I dont know how you could do better than http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/. They will pick you up at the Onion Valley trailhead, you can spend a night , shower, laundry, repacking your resupply, etc, and be taken back to the trailhead next day. $275 for two people.

OK, you could hitch. But you still need somewhere to stay the night, etc.

Fairly well known JMT blogger Ray Rippel, had a resupply not show up last yr. The packer doing the resupply thought it did, they did not acknowledge any wrongdoing.

http://jmtbook.com/category/blog/

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

Marla, if you are still looking for someone to share a resupply you might try the JMT group on Facebook as well as the JMT Yahoo group. Both groups are very active.

The JMT stretch between Whitney Portal and the Muir Trail Ranch poses real problems for people averaging less than 11-12 miles per day. Renting a Bearikade Expedition from the Wild Ideas guys and being clever in packing the canister can help. Most people take way more food than they eat, but hiking without enough calories is not a good strategy for most hikers.

Depending on the reliability of strangers for resupply seems dicey to me. I've heard multiple reports of people getting left in the lurch without their resupply packages. For some people hiking out over Kearsarge to Independence might be something for one to consider if limited vacation time is not an issue since it's only seven miles.

The Mt. Williamson lodging deal is somewhat pricey, but just paying $50 for them to hold your resupply might be a good option as the post office closes at 4:00 and is not open on the weekends. The other issue is that hitching a ride back and forth from Onion Valley to Independence could require several hours and a lot of charm. Offering gas money to passing campers could help your chances.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools