Topic

Free, Battery-Less Headlamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Free, Battery-Less Headlamp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This is so *barely* MYOG but it seemed to fit better than other forums…please accept this humble use of an otherwise cheese-whiz item…

I attended a conference and got one of these hand-crank LED lights…two LEDs, not that bright, and has an on-off switch, so that it will stay on without being held. After 30 seconds of cranking it seems to hold 30-45 minutes of usable light…not bad in a pinch.

It weighs exactly one ounce. Not as light as the Photo Freedom Micro, but it never needs batteries of any sort. In bulk they sell for about $6.

I decided to make a backup headlamp out of it…it'd be tough to use for navigation, but it's decent for a task light, and it's the ultimate backup in that you never need to worry about power.

I did so by simply gaffer-taping the smallest binder clips that I could find to the top of it, so that it would fit onto the brim of a baseball cap. (Hint: That binder clip weighs less than the Photon Freedom Micro's fancy-schmancy clip!)

And oh so eco-friendly compared to batteries! :-p

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Good thinking Nathan. Nice freebee!!!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Very nicely done…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools