Topic

ALTERNATIVE TO MY RAIN WIND PANTS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ALTERNATIVE TO MY RAIN WIND PANTS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

OK,i have some nice OR rainwind pants but they are bulky and weighty-side zips and snaps etc…Any ideas for some alternatives to these?Here s a pic of my pants:pants

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

These are at the opposite side of the spectrum–very minimal. I don't have longterm experience with these, but after a couple packrafting trips, I'm quit happy. I don't expect them to last forever at 3.5 oz, but I'll be happy with a lighter pack on a number of trips if they last me a couple years. I don't use rain pants enough to warrant carrying an extra 8 oz.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

my 6oz GoLite Paclite Rain pants are great. Easy to get on over shoes, and very comortable. Packs down to the volume of a White Castle burger.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

As I have previously reported, I like shell pants that are roughly half waterproof and half breathable. Most recently, I have sewn the Thru-Hiker Liberty Ridge Pants from the kit, and they were 2.37 ounces in my gradually expanding size. The only zippers are from the knee to the cuff so that you can pull them on over your boots.

–B.G.–

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

http://www.amazon.com/frogg-toggs-Ultra-light-Suit/dp/B007X5XB2Y

My favorite rain/wind gear thus far. Jacket 6 oz pants 4 oz…best part? 20 bucks

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Jeremy, these might be moderately lightweight, but they are not thought to be terribly durable. Well, I don't think anything is when you get this light.

–B.G.–

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Luke's offers everything from PAC-Lite Goretex to Silnylon and Pertex. He has Breathable, WP/B and wind resistant offerings. I am with bob. I don't like rain pants, and I prefer, like Dale, simple. My favorite pants are nylon about the weight if Pertex or a little heavier, with elastic waist and ankles, slash pockets. I have the Montbell dynamo and like them but they are long on me. My old Golite Trunk pamts are my favorite year round.

J Dos
    BPL Member

@damager

Locale: Redwoods of Santa Cruz Mts

When I lived and hiked in SoCal, I never wore rain pants, just wind pants. I bought a pair of Montbell Dynamo wind pants 2 years ago and they are still going strong. They are simple and surprisingly durable. My size M weigh 2.72 oz on my scale.

BPL member Dale Wambaugh posted an alternative to the MB pants, from a site called Dance World. They are basically the same materials. The size L weigh 3.5 ounces. A few BPL members have posted favorable reviews. Here's a link to the pants:
    http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_701.html?camp=Froogle_701&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=701&utm_campaign=Pro

BTW, I am not affiliated with Dance World, though I do have amazing grace and sculpted limbs, so the assumption can be forgiven.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

For summer in the Sierra I like a rain skirt, er, kilt… don't mind if my legs get wet from the knee down and the ventilation is great…

available in sil/ny, cuben, or nylon from various vendors…
    I've also made my own… very easy to do.. and cheap!

b

Dale Emery
    BPL Member

@emeryd

Locale: Montana

I have used the GoLite Tumalo Rain Pants for the last two years, they are holding up great. My son stole them to bike to school in Golden. They weigh 7 oz and are $50.00 when they have them in stock.

Lindsey Sommer
    Spectator

@lgsommer

I second the above comment on the rain kilt! I use the ULA one, and while it makes quite a fashion statement, it folds up small and is easy to get on without having to step into anything. If you're okay with looking slightly silly, it's definitely worth checking out!

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

If it's going to be wet, cold and windy I take some Rab Demand event pants. Otherwise I use a rain kilt

David Ure

@familyguy

Better than a rain quilt.

; )

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools