Topic

synthetic insulation “Topper” for Sleeping System.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear synthetic insulation “Topper” for Sleeping System.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

I’m considering making a synthetic insulation “Topper” for my sleeping bag system. “Topper” basically would be a piece of APEX sandwiched between silnylon which would be draped over my sleeping bag. The main purpose of this piece would be to help alleviate condensation inside of my down sleeping bag by moving the dew point outside of the down chambers. This would be an optional piece I would bring only when I expect conditions that warrant its use.

Anybody that has experienced with this kind of setup cares to comment about: 1) Noise created by the friction between topper inner and Sleeping Bag Outer shells? 2) Do I need to be concerned about the DWR on the SB? 3) How much insulation is needed to achieve my main objective (would APEX 2.5 be sufficient?).

I’ve never worked with Apex but can I skip the “topper” inner fabric all together.

Thank you

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

2.5 Apex is what I would use.

Do NOT, however, use Silnylon. It will exasperate precisely what you are trying to avoid – a wet down bag. Use M50, Nobul, M90, 1.1, or other light, non waterproof fabric.

Since the sil is waterproof the moisture will stop where sil touches your down bag. You know how that will end up.

As for the noise – I've used a "topbag" over my quilt and didn't notice any noise at all aside from the slight brushing sound when I roll over. Shouldn't be an issue.

Please show us what you end up with!

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

Thanks Todd. Yes, definitely I need breathable fabrics for this application. I think I may go with Nobul. I'm new to sewing so hopefully not too difficult to work with.

Cheers.

edit: spelling

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've done nobul1/synthetic. Works good.

When I sewed through nobul1/synthetic/some other fabric, it was hard to keep them all aligned. One would slide relative to the others.

When you lay it out and cut it, you should generate some long skinny pieces. Use those to practice. Cut strips of nobul/synthetic/nobul that are the same length. Sew a line of stitches. You will probably find by the end of the line of stitches that the three pieces are no longer aligned, one will stick out longer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools