Topic

How low can I go?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedJan 9, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I've got my eye on one of the BPL School winter trips (Montana in January!), and I'm trying to figure if I can get by with most of my current gear.

I have a Western Mountaineering Versalite (rated to 10 degrees) and a Jacks R Better 45 degree Shenandoah quilt. If I used the quilt as a liner for the WM bag, how low a temperature do you think I could comfortably deal with, assuming:

– I normally sleep comfortably at or near the WM bag's 10 degree rating
– There's enough room in the WM bag for the quilt without over compressing the down
– I'll be wearing a baselayer top and bottom along with a fleece anorak, fleece pants, a balaclava, gloves and socks
– I'll have a small Neoair over a full length Ridgerest, along with my pack at my feet for a bit more insulation
– I'll be tarping over a cuben fiber groundsheet

Any thoughts?

PostedJan 9, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I use a 15º bag and a 45º bag together, and I can get about 15-20º extra this way, so about -5º. Lower than that, and I need a coat, but with a coat and down booties I can sleep at -15º.

PostedJan 10, 2014 at 6:08 am

Max, thanks for your helpful response. It suggests that I may indeed be able to get by with what I already have, which is always a plus.

Daniel, you may be right; my Gulf Coast skin isn't much inured to the cold. But I've always been drawn to cooler weather backpacking. Last winter, my daughter and I did a December overnight on Guadalupe Peak where the mercury dropped to 16 degrees. And a couple of months ago, I did a week's section hike on the AT in Virginia, with a couple of nights around 20 degrees. While these aren't quite what I'd experience in Montana in January, they're probably a pretty good proof of concept. Plus, who doesn't like tramping through the snow!

PostedJan 10, 2014 at 9:34 am

A VBL of some kind would be mighty helpful, especially since you will be using two down systems in combo. Without a VBL, condensation would be likely to freeze inside the top bag.

Besides mostly preventing that, a VBL will also add some warmth to the overall system. I don't know how much exactly. I've seen guesstimates here around 10 degrees plus or minus a couple of degrees.

Would recommend a garment VBL of some kind so you can wear your jacket and other clothes on you, and it's good for camp use too. Doesn't have to be expensive. EVA rain gear could work, relatively cheap, fairly light, and fairly durable. A step up in price and durability and a bit lighter would be silnylon rain gear. Polycryo or plastic bags for feet.

PostedJan 10, 2014 at 2:39 pm

That pad combination is inadequate for me on snow. My preference is a full length (62 inch +) insulated inflatable with a half length CCF underneath. One of the Exped synthetic UL 7s or even UL 9s at 22 oz seems like a reasonable choice. Inflate by mouth and dry later at home.

If you are going to go with the Neoair combo I would suggest at least adding another short piece of CFF to double up under the torso. Otherwise your stuff looks OK. No thanks on the vapor barrier for me.

PostedJan 10, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Yeah, I grew up in Houston… When I went to boot camp in Great Lakes in December-February it was the first time I'd seen snow. Then there was that one time in Billings in early March. How the hell do people live up there?!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...