Topic

boots or shoes for snowshoeing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) boots or shoes for snowshoeing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    marjolein Keuning
    BPL Member

@laincha

Locale: netherlands

Hi, i'm going snowshoeing in a couple of weeks, in Germany, and would like to have some feedback on suitable shoes/boots.

I hike in trailrunners but I still own old fashioned sturdy B shoes, as we call them, stiff boots by Hanwag, leather no gtx.

These should be suitable for snowshoeing but I would like to know of other peoples solutions who don't want the old heavy boots anymore.

I will not be camping, so I can dry them at night….

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I followed the advice in an article by Will Reitveld before heading out on long snowshoe trips last winter. I ended up wearing a silk liner, midweight merino wool sock, Rocky Gortex sock then my usual non gortex trail runners (one size larger) and MLD long winter gaiters. This system worked well for me and kept my feet warm while hiking but is was necessary to change into fresh warm socks, down booties and ext liner after making camp. I've also used the same system but with plastic bags instead of the gortex socks and stayed just as warm, even when post holing for hours (I was caught without snowshoes that day). Here's the link to the article:

https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lightweight_footwear_systems_for_snow_travel_part_2.html#.Us8W4H-9KSM

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

marjolein Keuning
    BPL Member

@laincha

Locale: netherlands

Thank you for your replies.

I was very happy to read the extensive research done ao by Will Rietvelt (sounds like a dutch name to me….) and I have to read it a couple more times to get everything clear in my head….

The vasque boots i saw online, but are not available in Europe, and it's too big a risk to order shoes without fitting them….. they look great though.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Alpo Kuusisto
    BPL Member

@akuusist

Crocs boots

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I drank the Backpackinglight koolaid and went on a trip last year(2012) with a pair of trail runners and Rocky Mountain Goretex socks and ended up with a debilitating knee injury. Do yourself a favor and get a decent mid ankle waterproof hiking boots, I use my Salmon Goretex Quest 4D and been very happy with it.

For summer backpacking I till use trail runner(Nike) and Innov 8. But I learnt in a hard way that in winter you need to need to get conservative and set aside backpackinglight koolaid.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

How were your trail runners related to your debilitating knee injury? I don't see the connection here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools