Topic

Best Sat/Topo Paper Maps??

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Mark Turpin BPL Member
PostedJan 9, 2014 at 9:13 am

Each time I assemble a custom Sat/Topo map at mytopo I am so discouraged by the apparent resolution of the sattelite imagery I am going to get, I bail on the project altogether. When I compare it to Google Earth imagery, it seems so inferior–can someone tell me otherwise? Is what you get better than it looks on the screen? Is there another, better way to get a Sat/Topo paper map.

I have good gps equipment, garmin maps, National Geographic software, hundreds of 7.5's, etc

My wife and I climb and hike cross-country in the Shuteye Ridge area of Sierra National Forest in California, and there are few trails and many terrain obstacles. A decent map would be invaluable.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jim H BPL Member
PostedJan 9, 2014 at 9:26 am

Have you tried caltopo.com? I love that site. Lots of layers to choose from, and you can create a custom map set as a PDF. Check out this help page to get started: http://caltopo.com/about.html.

Joseph Elfelt BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2014 at 5:55 am

The MyTopo FAQ explains that the map you see when you begin their ordering process is a lower resolution than the final printed printed map. I have one of their printed topos and the quality is perfect.

If you want a printed aerial from MyTopo then you have two options. The lower cost option uses a medium resolution aerial and the higher cost option uses a higher resolution aerial.

The following link starts Gmap4 and displays a high resolution topo map centered on Shuteye Pass. To display the NAIP aerial, click the button in the upper right corner of the map and select NAIP. The NAIP aerials are flown by USDA. Their goal is to update the photos once every three years.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.339592,-119.411688&z=15&t=t4

For more info about Gmap4 (I am the developer), please see the homepage:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...