Topic

Canine thru-hike of CDT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Canine thru-hike of CDT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Justin the main reason would be uncontrolled seizures. You can't tell when they are about to happen, and they can be deadly if you are on the trail. The alert dog would be perfect to give her enough warning to keep her safe.

She may have been able to go the whole trip without one, but goodness me I wouldn't want to do it without an alert dog.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

In that case I retract my statement, I haven't heard about dogs doing that, thanks for clarifying that for me.

Dave T

@davet

Greg, a big plus +1 to your comments.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Jennifer,

While I don't concede it should all appear absolutely innocent to a casual observer, you do have a valid point about evidence. At least from my point of view I really don't want this to be about her, or some kind of attempt to "find out the real truth" which will be impossible unless she tells us.

So what do you think about the following hypothetical situation. Let us suppose person A that has no seizure condition of any kind requiring a service dog has a friend, person B, who has a seizure problem and a seizure alert dog. Lets assume person A borrows that dog from person B and brings a dog along backpacking. That dog is indeed certified as a medical alert dog, therefore by the letter of the law this is allowed. The laws says both that she must need the dog, but can only be asked what it was certified to do.

I'm curious, do you think in this hypothetical situation person A was gaming the system? If so would you object to the behavior?

If instead there WAS no person B or pre-certified dog at all, and person A used the system to get a mail order certificate with the express intention to use it to allow them to bring their dog into an NP. How would you feel about that case? What if that person then published instructions for how any totally healthy person can bring a pet dog along into a NP following a set of simple steps. What would you think then?

I'm not being flippant. I really am trying to put my finger on the place where this apparent divide in opinion is taking place. Amongst other reasons, it's interesting.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Just ahead of me at TSA in ANC, 5 minutes ago:Poodle

But it had a vest on that said "I am a service dog. things4dogs.com" so it's all just fine.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Dogs that have been groomed like that should be banned from public areas regardless. :-o

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Give 'em a break.

They probably just left Denali NP after a successful summit.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

David, I must say that poodles are awfully smart, but I don't know that I would want one to be making medical decisions for me.

–B.G.–

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Mark: the particular bits that were shaved reminded me of. . . oh, never mind, Australian moderators are awake at this hour.

Greg: In the late 80's someone would show up for the ceremonial Iditarod start in Anchorage with a team of Standard Poodles mostly because the crowd loved hearing, "Mush, Fifi, Mush!"

Bob: Agreed, standard (not miniature) poodles are smart. But I'd have trouble taking direction from even an M.S.RN seriously if she had that haircut.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> oh, never mind, Australian moderators are awake at this hour.
    barely…

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Luna De La Paz (RIP)leading
    Luna on the lead

more poodles
    more poodles

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Oh come on, that's clearly a service dog for people with poor fashion sense.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Actually Mark that's a good point…and I agree with you. If Bethany did not herself need that alert dog, then absolutely she should be vilified.
    If she is gaming the system that way, then yes, string her up and smack her about her with all of BPL's (and the entire interwebs) vitriol. If she is training that dog, there is plenty of wilderness where dogs are allowed where she could do that and would not have to use National Parks. I'd LOVE to be able to take my dog (who could totally pass for a service dog, by the way…until he stuck his nose in your crotch) in the national parks, but I don't because he's not allowed.

So yes…if she's gaming the system then by all means have at her. I guess I'm just a bit bothered by everyone jumping on her and accusing her of gaming the system when in fact we know nothing of the sort.

So SHE may be an example of a person with a real medical/disability issue who is being hurt by people who cheat.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have a dog. I don't take him backpacking. He does go camping a lot and he hikes often, but only where he is allowed to go and is always leashed. Those are the rules.

I hate most dog owners I meet on the trail, with a dog in tow — or usually not in tow or leashed.

Whether or not this lady is right or wrong we don't really know. Perhaps a service dog should require a permit, like a vehicle placard for disabled persons. Or perhaps no special treatment at all. It is a big debate. And aren't there is more important things for us to do, such as get out and go hiking?

Besides, there are greater crimes being committed daily, such as thousands of backpackers stealing condiments from fast food joints.

Oh, those glass houses and rocks!!

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools