Topic

TT Hogback or similar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TT Hogback or similar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I have a Hilleberg Anjan 3 that I like for our typical weeklong N. Rockies outings…still a little snug with our aussie shepherd for hanging out and reading inside, but a great tent – strong, light, well designed and built, great attention to details.

…But now we have added a border collie mix mut to the family…So I am looking for more room, while staying light and somewhat stormworthy. While I'm adding room, a little bit broader expanse with headroom for two people to read sitting up would be great.

The front-runner right now is the TT Hogback, but I haven't found the kind of discussion and reviews that I had been looking for form BPL – How is it performing? Virtues? Problems? Stormworthiness with the added crossing pole?

I have tried out a Scarp 2, which is a pretty neat tent, and am wondering how the basic design works in a larger format…

The next in line is a BA Copper Spur UL3, just slightly bigger than the Anjan in floor dimensions, but it looks like more usable space and greater headroom. I worry about its strength in a breeze, but am happy to hear about it from those with experience.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Matt, check out my and two other reviews of the Hogback at http://tinyurl.com/lxyfb4w

In general, good shelter for two adults, one child, and a small dog. Great tent.

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

We've been very happy with our Hogback, albeit in tropical conditions with moderate winds. Very roomy for two adults and two kids. Vestibules are smallish.

Easy (very easy) to erect, unbeatable weight-to-usable space ratio, well ventilated, two entrances.

Can't comment on its performance in weather which needed the crossing poles. However I do own several (OK many!) TarpTents and I would trust Henry's designs. Our last 3 months of 2012 were spent in a SS2 very happily.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Yes, I'm not too worried about the strength of the hogback with a crossing pole added. I've sat out some pretty bad storms in a double rainbow, which was barely up to the task with the one center pole. The hogback has quite a bit more material, but I imagine that the crossing pole should do a lot to stabilize it…so it is not so much a matter of surviving, but how quiet and secure it feels. Again, I imagine no worse than the Copper Spur – but I wouldn't mind hearing from those who have been in real weather (there are nice detailed reviews in backpackgeartest – thanks Richard, but they didn't refer to much in the way of challenging conditions).

My experience with the Scarp 2 and the DR have left me with just a few small reservations, as the zippers often require 2 hands because they are sharp angles in them, or pinpointed high tension. I also found some of the velco tabs and connectors to be a bit fiddly, but one gets used to those things with time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools