Topic

JMT Gear List, and I have an REI gift card to fix it with. Help please!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gear List, and I have an REI gift card to fix it with. Help please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Been lurking for a while, but I finally picked up a forum membership because I need to leverage some collective wisdom here. I'm hiking the JMT with my dad this summer (mid-August). My currently planned gear list is in this Google Spreadsheet. This includes some shared gear—we'll likely be splitting the shelter, water filter, and most of the cook kit. It doesn't include a bear can though, which will be a BearVault BV500 I'm borrowing from my old boy scout troop.

I know I cut a lot of weight from my pack and sleeping bag. I chose that pack to pull double duty for winter and 3-season use, so it's a known compromise. The sleeping bag was $50 at an REI garage sale. An EE revelation might be in the works for an upcoming birthday, but I can't count on it and can't afford to spend much at all on gear right now.

I do, however, have a $100 REI gift card I can put toward improvements. I'm sure there are also some things I can cut or exchange for free/cheap.

I was thinking about spending the gift card on some new trekking poles, since I'm currently using $10/each Amazon aluminum poles. Any other suggestions?

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

A few thoughts…

Do you really need vaseline cottonballs?

you may not really need the baselayer bottoms in mid-August..but thats your call.

The insulated mug seems heavy…could you just use your pot as a cup?

Can you get by with just one flashlight/headlamp?

First aid is a little subjective, but many can save weight reducing them a bit.

Bandanna, packtowel — redundant.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

> Do you really need vaseline cottonballs?

I probably don't, but it's just one cottonball in a waterproof tube from one of Dale W's survival kits. I keep that on a keyring in my pocket with a few other small survival things, and it's come in handy once before when everything was wet and I was cold.

> you may not really need the baselayer bottoms in mid-August..but thats your call.

Those and the extra top baselayer are there as sleeping clothes. If I leave those, I'll leave the extra top too and just sleep in my hiking clothes. My concerns getting my sleeping bag too dirty and sleeping in sweat-soaked clothes, but do I really need to worry about that much?

I'll ditch the mug, good call. I might pick up something lighter, or just use the pot, we'll see.

I guess I could ditch the extra light too. The little one is on that survival keychain in my pocket, but it's not really necessary, especially since I'll be hiking with another person.

I like the packtowel for after swimming and condensation management, it's tiny and soaks up a lot more than the bandana. I might swap the bandana for a sweatband though, because that's what I normally use it for.

Thanks for the feedback!

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I think the mug might be needed with your 1L pot, but you could definitely get by for a couple of weeks with a freebie styro mug from Duncan Donuts or McDonald's. It would likely store safely in your pot and be free, uberlight, and a bit of a convo starter. A more durable, less warm, suggestion would be a Ti Mug like the Snowpeak 450. There has to be one around here somewhere. You can borrow mine if you like.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

I like the styrofoam mug idea! Maybe I'll double it up for a little extra durability and insulation.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Probably nothing you need to buy. But there are a few small odds and ends you might want to add to your list.
    Map, compass, camera or phone for raking pictures, mosquito headnet, change of underwear, a tiny amount if soap ir shampoo to wash your haur a few times, a real wool or fleece hat rather than the buff, and something to amuse you in the evenings such as reading material, cossword puzzles or a deck of cards.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Looks like a good list. A few thoughts:

* I agree with Katy about the map and compass. A compass is one of those things you don't need until you do. :)

* I like to carry a plastic pealess whistle in my pocket along with a few other essentials. I'm most likely to need those if I have to ditch my pack due to falling at a swift water crossing, bear, or just misplacing it on a steep slope.

* Might need extra batteries for the light if you run into a long night hike?

* Try picaridin instead of DEET. I find that it works fine and it doesn't eat some materials.

* Consider making an alcohol stove. http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/

* I think I would try to get a lighter pack. Does REI have the Golite Jam? Or maybe the REI Flash or Osprey Hornet?

”V” (CzechClown)
    BPL Member

@czechclown

You might consider making your own , DYI trekking poles. Search BPL post:

Easy 3.2oz (x2) Trekking Poles. I made a pair and they turned out great.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Thanks y'all! Definitely adding the map and compass, that was only left out as an oversight.

I have to work out extra batteries with my dad, I don't know what type his lights take. We'll probably bring one spare set between us and send some to the resupplies, since I don't think we'll do any night hiking.

I have a penny stove that I use for short solos, but I think between two people on a long enough trip a canister stove is worth the extra convenience and won't be much extra weight, since we'll use up a whole canister without a problem.

GoLite doesn't sell outside their own website and outlets, but I almost picked up a Flash 45 on clearance last week. I tried putting a BV500 in it though and there wasn't much room left, plus it carried uncomfortably. I think I'm just going to have to stick with this pack. Maybe I'll trim off a few ounces (it's totally stock now) but I don't anticipate any huge changes.

Thanks for the picaridin rec, it looks promising. I'll stick with what I have until it's used up, but I might try it out next time I buy bug repellent.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools