Topic

Italy/Turkey/etc. hiking in April or May?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedJan 5, 2014 at 9:44 am

Hi all.

Look like I'll be in Italy (and perhaps Croatia/Turkey) in late April into mid May. And I might have a chance to extend the trip for a couple weeks earlier (i.e. mid April) or later (into late May) for some backpacking/trekking.

Is there anything that would be adventurous, beautiful, or otherwise highly recommended that time of year? I have wondered about the GR20 on Corsica, the Lycian Way in Turkey, etc. Seems like May on the GR20 could be tough/impossible due to snow? How about the Lycian Way? Other options?

Any and ALL thoughts welcome!

Thanks!

Dave.

PostedJan 5, 2014 at 12:15 pm

The Lycian Way is good in April. There will probably be some snow on the higher sections (above 1,600m or so), but nothing that should make it unwalkable. Late May is getting hot for the lowest sections unless you're used to walking in the heat.
You might want to take a look at the Carian Trail (Karya Yolu) as well. It opened last year. See http://www.kariayolu.com/
http://cultureroutesinturkey.com/c/ is a good website to start researching Turkish trails.
If you decide on Turkey, pm me and I'll give you any help I can.

Mike Van BPL Member
PostedJan 6, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I can't think of anything more "adventurous, beautiful or otherwise highly recommended" in Italy (or in the whole of Europe for that matter) than Selvaggio Blu but it's extremely tough, even with a guide. April or May would be the best period to attempt it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...