Topic

Italy/Turkey/etc. hiking in April or May?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Italy/Turkey/etc. hiking in April or May?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Hi all.

Look like I'll be in Italy (and perhaps Croatia/Turkey) in late April into mid May. And I might have a chance to extend the trip for a couple weeks earlier (i.e. mid April) or later (into late May) for some backpacking/trekking.

Is there anything that would be adventurous, beautiful, or otherwise highly recommended that time of year? I have wondered about the GR20 on Corsica, the Lycian Way in Turkey, etc. Seems like May on the GR20 could be tough/impossible due to snow? How about the Lycian Way? Other options?

Any and ALL thoughts welcome!

Thanks!

Dave.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

The Lycian Way is good in April. There will probably be some snow on the higher sections (above 1,600m or so), but nothing that should make it unwalkable. Late May is getting hot for the lowest sections unless you're used to walking in the heat.
    You might want to take a look at the Carian Trail (Karya Yolu) as well. It opened last year. See http://www.kariayolu.com/
    http://cultureroutesinturkey.com/c/ is a good website to start researching Turkish trails.
    If you decide on Turkey, pm me and I'll give you any help I can.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Check out Cicerone Press for many ideas too.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Turkey in April/May? See our trip reports:
    Lycian Way and St Paul Trail
    Kaçkar Mountains

We had a fabulous time there.

Mike Van
    BPL Member

@mike777

I can't think of anything more "adventurous, beautiful or otherwise highly recommended" in Italy (or in the whole of Europe for that matter) than Selvaggio Blu but it's extremely tough, even with a guide. April or May would be the best period to attempt it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools