"Must have thinner walls than the spout suggests."
What does the spout suggest? I haven't heard a word out of it.
Due to all of the rolled edges, I couldn't really measure the aluminum thickness with accuracy. The one place that I could get a gauge on it was on the underside edge of the lid. It seemed to be around 0.25mm, give or take.
It would be possible to lighten it by trimming off some of the spout. However, when this thing is filled to the maximum, the liquid rises into the spout, so cutting the spout would reduce the capacity. You might think that you would trim weight on the handle. However, the metal of the handle is not continuous through the dark plastic, so little would be gained.
Inside, there is no lining or anything, so it would be good for the anti-BPA people.
In fact, I don't think that they could have made this any cheaper.
–B.G.–