Topic

Are Beer Can Pots Too Fragile?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
D S BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2014 at 11:28 am

A recent event concerning a Beer Can Pot pegged my caution meter. I bought a Zelph Ribbed Flat Bottom Fosters Pot (full size) from another member. These are supposed to be the ultimate BCPs, from what I've read, a lot stronger than a unmodded beer can.

Well, dear ole USPS decided to put it to the test. It was packed pretty well in the box with lots of stuffing. The box showed some damage, but it didn't look that bad. I really didn't expect the Pot inside to be trashed like it was. The pot wasn't really caved in on the sides, but was crushed from the top/bottom.

My point is, that this thing was packed a lot better than it would be in a pack without some type of caddy and it still got crushed. I would hate to have that happen in the middle of a long BP trip and be without a pot.

PostedJan 4, 2014 at 11:42 am

I've got a Fosters (non-ridged) that's over 3 years old and will probably need to be replaced at some point. I boiled lots of water in it before I actually used it to hopefully reduce the amt of bpa in the lining….
Having said that, you do have to treat them gingerly. I keep mine in a cuben sack that a tarp came in, and it's the last thing I put in the top of my pack before I roll it shut.

PostedJan 4, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Regardless of how the can was packed, USPS squashed it. They can kill anything. You have more skills and abilities than all of them combined.

However, I pin-holed my (un-ribbed) Fosters on the circumferential support from having it packed on top, compressed by a top pocket, and flexing with every step. It took me about 20 days of hiking.

I have since moved on to a Heine and have put thousands of miles on it. And now I pack the can to fit front-to-back versus side-to-side.

Beer cans are UL, and require UL care (but not extraordinary care). As mentioned above, and I'm sure below, many have a lot of trail time and No problems. With a little thought about flexing and how you pack, you should be fine.

M B BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Mine have always gone in the top of the front mesh pocket on my packs. No issues at all.

One was damaged on the way to a weeklong trip when it was in my pack, and I slammed on brakes, the pack then hit the back of my seat and pot was crunched . Popping it out cracked it. Carelessness on my part, should have put the pack on the floor instead of the back seat.

A small patch of ducttape over it, worked fine all week. No problems. I did order another though. I love the little pots. A bit pricey though really.

Using a "caddy" to protect one, is really questionable. You might as well just have a heavier more durable pot for less weight. I say that knowing that there are folks out there with alcohol stove setups this way that are heavier than a jetboil.

Buck Nelson BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2014 at 5:26 am

They are very fragile, but they can be protected.

Personally, using a caddy works well for me all the way around. Firstly, because a smashed pot is ruined. A caddy makes the the pot nearly "bomber." Secondly because it is sized so all components: stove, windscreen, pot, fuel measuring cup, lighter, cozy, pot cover: all nest beautifully. Thirdly, I dislike having to excessively baby gear. Lastly, the caddy is multi-use. Not only does it protect the stove components, it serves as a carrier and a drinking mug AND a bowl at the same time. To me, it's a sensible 3 oz.

As far as weight, my complete Caldera Keg system weighs about 6.4 oz including caddy and the whole shebang, That's less than half the weight of the standard Jetboil and a full 2 oz less than the lightest Jetboil.

alan york BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2014 at 6:25 am

There are some lighter weight caddys to consider. Tang container or blue screw top quart zip lock bowl.

Off the subject>>>>Buck,I just watched your ALONE ACROSS ALASKA DVD.!000 mile solo Brooks Range traverse.Fantastic!Really enjoyed it!Amazing wildlife shots!Thanks for the inspiration!

Dan Yeruski BPL Member
PostedJan 6, 2014 at 6:32 pm

The Foster Ridgeline series are rugged and lightweight. Don't give up on them. I have a new design coming up this month that will include a caddy just like the ones that TD sells for use with their Foster's Cone set-up.

I think I'll work on doing a quick article on the history of the beer can pots :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...