Topic

Baselayer to sleep

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
eric schultz BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2014 at 7:57 am

I bought a 30 degree nemo quilt. I had a 15 degree bag that I slept in my underwear on the trail. I have been using the quilt and at times I get a little chilly at night. I am looking for some lightweight options for a top. I was looking at Terramar 1.0 or 2.0 baselayer tops. I backpack in Sierras in summer and Grand Canyon in spring and fall. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Eric

Bill Segraves BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2014 at 1:56 pm

IMO, you have a lot of reasonable options. Which ones are best depend on desired insulation, fabric feel, odor control, drying speed, and durability (wrt laundering and/or potential daytime use).

When really lightweight will do it,my fav is silk, but Terramar silkweight or OR Echo t shirt work fine, too.

For a little more insulation, my fav is merino blend, but any good quality midweight long underwear will do. I increasingly go toward hoodies when looking for real warmth. Warmer than a shirt and a hat for the same weight and only a little less versatile.

If small differences in weight are of significant concern, let me know and I can weigh some things.

Cheers,

Bill S.

PostedJan 4, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I've never had a problem with Terramar's silks. What's better would depend upon your cold tolerance, as well as the night's anticipated low temperature. Just for context, I'm a "warm sleeper;" I use a silk top/bottom with Marino wool socks under a 30 degree quilt; and in the Summer, I sleep in the mountains where temperatures drop into the low-to-mid 40s at night. Always cozy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...