Topic

alky stove for narrower pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) alky stove for narrower pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Hi folks, been reading a lot about the IMUSA mugs but never saw one in my local Wally until recently so grabbed one (the small .7qt size) to fiddle around with. Currently use a Whitebox knock-off with a GSI tea kettle for stove and pot. They match well, the kettle is 6" wide and flames from the stove reach to the edges.

The IMUSA is 4" wide so I am assuming I would need a stove with a narrower flame. Any recommendations that don't break the bank? Open either to purchasing a budget-friendly ready-made or to a DIY project, whichever works well.

FYI, I FBC rather than cook (thus the kettle), but figure the IMUSA would be nice for the option of some light cooking (oatmeal, noodles, etc).

I figure for the IMUSA I can get a lid, something to wrap the handle, and some hot lips and then drop weight on my current kettle and stove and get rid of the separate mug I currently carry, maybe trim the current windscreen, and my spreadsheet shows I could save 5oz or even a fraction more, not too shabby.

Thanks!

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I use a lot of narrow pots which isn't the most efficient, but I like the packed size and drink out of all of them too. I used to use Fancee Feast style stoves on them but ultimately found that flames were still licking up the sides a ton and not the most ideal solution. I've been using the Starlyte for some time now with a diy stand and this has proven to be a great match with the tall/narrow pots. I primarily use it with a Zelph's 2 cup flat bottom Fosters pot with a Batchstovez carbon felt pot coozie always attached to it, and have zero issues picking up the pot while boiling to blow out the Starlyte (flame lick up is very minimal).

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

+1 on the Starlyte. Standard if you want it to be a bit faster, modified if you prioritise efficiency.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Plus two starlyte, or if you want adjustable, check the packafeather stoves.

Save shipping and get a stove and a lid from Zelph.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Thanks for the quick and unanimous nod to the Starlyte. I was already looking at their lid for the mug and actually would be better get both lid and mug from Zelph. I'd heard of the Starlyte but never gave it a good look before. Very interesting.

I'm not dealing with a "narrow" pot, just narrower than the wide kettle that matches with my current stove. More like a typical Evernew/Snowpeak ti mug, rather than a Fosters can. So would I be better with the modified or "regular" stove?

Also not clear what type of windscreen to use with it. I found some Youtubes that show it being used with a caldera cone or with no windscreen at all. What do other folks use?

I'll PM Dan with questions as well, he had these on sale last January so maybe another is coming up soon.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

I like the regular stove, alcohol is slow enough as it is and I'm not cooking with it, merely making water hot. As for windscreen, I use foil with some holes punched in the bottom. Lighter then ti and I don't get butthurt if I damage it.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Tea candle stove is more narrow.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I made a mini stove for a narrow mug. I used two tealight candle aluminum cups plus part of a third one. Then it takes a spot or three of epoxy to hold the pieces together. It weighs 2 grams. Then the mug support is made out of the rest of the third one, and it weighs another 2 grams. It takes two loads of alcohol to boil a cup of water.

–B.G.–

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

I like the 700 ml. Imusa mugs ($1.97 @ Walmart) and Zelph lid ($3.50) for a variety of reasons, and have 2 setups (alcohol/ esbit). Esbit for long trips favoring weight despite the fiddle factor at camp.

esbit imusa

The alky version I carry in a daypack for ski/bike safety and luxury (hot drinks) use. The starlyte stove works better than any other stove I've tried on the imusa (Gardner rocket, 12-10) but I hate the fuss of seperate stove and stand. Skurka's fancée feast stove blog post mentioned using potted meat cans as a smaller diameter version of the FF stove.

stove factory

The stove needs some priming burn time (30 seconds, no pot) before it really gets going and mine has been temperamental regarding this. Could be hole pattern, older Strip-Clean green fuel. But still brings 500 ml. of 52f water to boil in 10 min. w/ 1oz of fuel (starlyte and 12/10 on half the fuel).

can stove

But I really like the compact simple package with a heavy foil windscreen curled within the pot and 2 repurposed 5 Hour Energy bottles (2 oz. each) and the stove all fitting within the mug.
    packed imusa mug

Still working on those dam hot handles. Drilling holes in one of them next

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Kevin – while not the most elegant solution, this solved all of my Imusa hot handle woes:

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=126&idcategory=4

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> this solved all of my Imusa hot handle woes

And if you don't want to wait for shipping, hit your local Home Depot or Lowe's, soldering section (inside plumbing), for the Oatey Heat Shield.

5-hr energy bottles: great tip! Thanks!

Re: the holes in the potted meat stove — might be a bit large? Can't tell; try 3/16" holes (use a UniBit if necessary) which Jim Wood reports as more stable than 1/4" holes.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

4 good stoves to use with small diameter pot/mugs:

Fancee Feest

Modified StarLyte Stove

Cobalt Blue Soloist

Venom Super Stove

All are one piece stoves with integrated pot supports.

I have a vested interest in their design.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools