Topic

Battery Recharging Solutions

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Sean Passanisi BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Hello. I'm planning for an 8 week trip through Patagonia later this month. I will carry an iPad mini as a luxury item. After researching solar panels here, it seems like I may be better off with an external battery pack. I think I'll be out in the wilds for perhaps 7 days at a time. Apple claims 10 hours of battery life for the mini, and I probably get close to that when turning the brightness down and using it to read.

I'd be content if I could get 1-2 additional full charges for my iPad with a device that weighs less than 8 oz. Given the state of solar panel technology, is the external pack still my best option? It would also be great if the recharging solution could charge CR123 or AA batteries.

Thank you.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60149&disable_pagination=1

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76488&disable_pagination=1

Aaron Savka BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I set out on a hike this fall with a new myFC PowerTrekk Fuel Cell Charger to test. Sadly, I only had the opportunity to use it two times. My hike got cut short due to severe weather moving in (Tornadoes moved through the day after I bailed).

The PowerTrekk performed admirably and at 8.6oz it is just about what you are looking for. You will have to add a few of the fuel pucks, but they are rather small and lightweight.

With the limited experience I have with it in the field, I don't know that I would trust it quite yet for anything essential, but you could live without the iPad if it came down to it.

I decided to go with the PowerTrekk over a solar solution because it does not depend on sun exposure, and I could let it recharge my phone during the night.

PostedJan 3, 2014 at 8:10 pm

You could check options by NewTrent. Not sure they will exactly match your specs, but I have one of their chargers and have been really happy with it.

Jason G BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2014 at 11:45 pm

"iPad mini ~16,600 milliwatt-hours
iPad mini Retina ~23,800 milliwatt-hours"

and it looks like the ipad mini comes with the 5W charger while the ipad mini with retina takes the 12W charger..

If you have the reg mini most USB chargers should be fine(w/5W out) but if you have the retina you might find one with a 2.1A or 2.4A out

(maybe something like this)

http://www.newtrent.com/store/iphone-external-battery-iphone-portable-battery/nt140r-b.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...