Topic

Whoo hoo, some real cold finally coming to VA!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Whoo hoo, some real cold finally coming to VA!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Monday night at Shenandoah National Park has a forecasted low of -8 F degrees. Sweet, get to try out my wife's Fugu jacket and 0 degree EE quilt.

The high for Tuesday is 7 degrees. Also a good chance to try out my MYOG Apex vest, which only has insulation in the front (2.5 oz apex), and only one layer of fabric in the back (a kind of powerdry efficiency fabric).

This be some rare weather down here.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

We get -22 Sunday actual temp and have already had minus teens but someone up north farther is gonna call me a whiner

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have not backpacked at these temps before. Couple of quick questions. I use a NeoAir All season pad, will this be enough for -8 degrees, or should i also bring the 1/4" evazote foam pad i have?

I'm wondering if i should also bring my 40 degree EE quilt with M50 sleeve to use in conjunction with the 0 degree quilt, to create a sort of sleeping bag?

the 0 degree quilt and me could go inside the 40 degree quilt sleeve with the M50 material on top, so the rest of the 40 degree quilt will be under me. Would really help to cut down on draft and convective heat loss, but might be a bit overkill since i will have the NB Fugu jacket with me as well.

The other alternative i've thought of, is to bring a heet sheet to use as a VBL, drape it over myself, put the Fugu on top and then the 0 degree quilt. Would be lighter and less overkill since i tend to be a warm sleeper.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Mark, yeah i guess it's all relative.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dang it, the cold is losing steam. Forecast has changed to -1 degree low for Monday night. Lost 7 degrees of cold already.. :(

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well the trip went well, liked how the various gear performed. The EE 0 degree quilt worked nice, the Fugu jacket was nice–especially with an over sized windjacket on top.

The Apex vest i made worked well on the 10 degree or so hike–had to keep open the windjacket for most of it though. The vest didn't wet out, seemed to dry fast due to the greater degree of air permeability as compared to most puffy garments.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools