Topic

New Balance MT10v2

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
PostedJan 2, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Picked up a pair last week. Finally got them out on a trail for about five miles and I LOVE THEM! They weigh 342 grams for a men’s 10.5, about half what my Merrell Moabs weigh. It feels like I’m wearing my house slippers, except I have excellent traction and protection from pointy rocks.

Trail surface was: granite gravel, babyheads in packed mud, limestone ledges and roots, leaves and cedar berries, swiss-cheese limestone, and soft mud over limestone slabs.

Aside from slipping on the muddy slabs and wet leaves, traction was above average. I think it helps that the thin sole transmits a lot of ground-feel to my feet, and they flex enough to ‘wrap around’ uneven surfaces.

I found myself walking with a shorter stride and being much more conscious of my foot placement. However, my rate of travel did not decrease. It didn’t feel like my cadence was any faster, but it must have been. The shorter stride length definitely made things easier on my knees; I don’t get out as often as I want to and I’m usually in some pain the day after.

One other point to note: My pack weight includes about twenty pounds of baby. He was able to nap for the last three miles of our hike, so I know I’m moving in a gentler, smoother, quieter way.

Thanks for reading! I’ll report back on the long-term performance and durability at the end of summer.

Here they are at REI: New Balance MT10v2

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedJan 2, 2014 at 8:39 pm

How do they look for drying out? I'm still looking for shoes to use for river crossings (and to switch thing up on my feet if necessary), though I've never actually found any I like, or actually ended up taking extras.

PostedJan 2, 2014 at 9:00 pm

There's not much to them that would hang on to excess water. The upper is all mesh and perforated foam, reinforced by a minimal amount of synthetic leather and nylon webbing. It should drain pretty well. I shouldn't have to drill any drain holes in these. The trail I was on skirts our local lake, but it's way up above the water for the first four miles or so. I'll try them in water if I'm out there by myself and have more time.

PostedJan 3, 2014 at 7:16 am

I used a pair of these on a 5-day hike in the Flattops. I LOVE the way these shoes fit, and the way they feel on my feet. Unfortunately, the trails I was on were pretty rocky, and there wasn't quite enough protection for my soles. Sharp rocks were able to puncture the softer foam in between the more firm "tread" parts. By the end of the 60 miles, my soles were feeling pretty beat up. I wish I could get this exact same fit/feel with just slightly more sole protection. My hunt for the "perfect" hiking shoe continues!

Sean Passanisi BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2014 at 9:00 am

I bought a pair over the summer and have used them on about 20 days of hikes. Love the fit, but I feel the grip is terrible compared to my Vibram Spyridons. I'm considering writing NB support to see if I have a common problem.

PostedJan 3, 2014 at 10:50 am

I'm not familiar with either of the Minimum Trailrunner products, but maybe you should try the MT1010V2 instead? It sounds like it has more protection from rocks than the MT10v2.

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2014 at 11:11 pm

" I wish I could get this exact same fit/feel with just slightly more sole protection. My hunt for the "perfect" hiking shoe continues!"

This may in fact not be kosher for the minimalist, but you could get some very thin carbon fiber inserts – they go below, and can even be taped to your insoles. Get the thinnest version. They weigh virtually nothing, are flexible, but would take all the edge off. They are quite pricy, but you can use them in any of your shoes and should last a long while. I have found it is a nice, virtually weightless solution for when I find shoes I love, but where the soles are just a bit too thin for rocky terrain, especially in the forefoot. This seem to happen for me a lot with LW backpacking shoes I want since most of the lightweight ones are seemingly designed with roads/flat surfaces in mind.

PostedJan 4, 2014 at 3:56 am

Hawke said: I used a pair of these on a 5-day hike in the Flattops. I LOVE the way these shoes fit, and the way they feel on my feet. Unfortunately, the trails I was on were pretty rocky, and there wasn't quite enough protection for my soles. Sharp rocks were able to puncture the softer foam in between the more firm "tread" parts. By the end of the 60 miles, my soles were feeling pretty beat up. I wish I could get this exact same fit/feel with just slightly more sole protection. My hunt for the "perfect" hiking shoe continues!

One of the advantages of buying New Balance is that they list their lasts on their website. It looks like the MT10v2 use their NL-1 lasts. Do a search for other shoes they make with that last and compare features, and you should be golden.

Hope it helps!

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2014 at 11:19 am

+1 Jeff – the 1010 looks more protective and durable yet still light as a feather. Just handled a pair recently. Personally I prefer more durable better cushioned low drop shoes with a rock plate, like the Saucony Xodus 3 – 4mm drop, great cushioning, fantastic grip, very breathable (just size up a full size from your normal hiking shoe size or 1.5 sizes from your foot size). Less durable shoes just barely last for me.

Mark where did you get the thin carbon fiber inserts?

PostedJan 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I had the "v1" version of these, went through a couple pairs and was very happy with them. I moved to the MT110 for the added rock-plate and never looked back. I did't realize there was a v2, so I will have to check them out. Here are the differences from the original: http://runtramp.com/new-balance-mt10v2-review/

PostedJan 5, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Went out again today to the same trail and managed to bruise my foot a bit. It was way colder, so I was carrying more weight. Also, I was moving faster to stay warm and got a little careless with my foot placement.

The good news is that it was way colder, so I got to try out my new Marmot Zeus down jacket. I didn't really need it 'til I got to the lake and there were no longer trees to block the wind. Probably would have been OK with a fleece or maybe even just a windshirt, but the down jacket had me toasty in no time! It's a keeper, for sure.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...