I'm really tempted by this OR beanie — likely very warm, AND I could look like Marge Simpson!
Topic
Marge Simpson Down Beanie
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
The black rock one looks the same if you don't pull it down enough. Guess that is the point, a bit. In fact I got a blue one for my neighbor for Christmas. Maybe I should call her marge next time she wears it.
Somehow I wound up with both.
The Black Rock Gear one is far superior in nearly every way. It is more comfortable, lighter, and has a wicking fleece headband to make it cozier and more comfortable. I find all the elastic on the Transcendent Beanie (aka The Beehive) makes it uncomfortable on my head whereas a well-sized Black Rock hat simply perches on my head, snugly enough to be safely attached but more like wearing a warm cloud on my head than a hat. I sleep with the BRG hat on my head all night long, whereas I'll tear off the Transcendent Beanie in my sleep. Did I mention the Black Rock is more comfortable?
On the other hand, my best friend only has The Beehive and it is his favorite hat. So, if you are unwilling to plunk down for the Black Rock at least you get a pretty good down hat.
It does pack into its own pocket which has a sturdy carry loop and is just about the only reason I kept it despite preferring the Black Rock. It hangs off my harness!
@Stephen "more like wearing a warm cloud on my head than a hat"
You realize that by making statements like that you are really making it difficult for me not to own one of these :-D I'm sure BRG would love for you to add your sentiments to their website….Actually I've been eyeing the fingerless convertible mitts as well…..
I've read numerous reviews and the general consensus is that the OR hat has a very thin, uncomfortable elastic band. Does is seem possible to modify the hat so it's more comfortable by replacing the thin elastic band with a wider one?
Adrien
I've tried both beanies and I definitely prefer the black rock.
It breaths better, feels more comfortable, not as tight, and is warmer.
However I prefer overall the possum down beanie.
I've even tried the bigger sized OR down beanies and it still felt tight (for reference I usually wear a tilley hat size 7 1/8 so I don't have a big head)
Become a member to post in the forums.

