Topic

Hammock for Frigid weather

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedJan 2, 2014 at 9:43 am

People always laugh at winter hammock campers.

It's been in the single digits up here in Western Mass and I'm still hammock camping with nothing but a Z-rest and a torso-length X-Therm.

Underquilt? Pfft!

My personal record is -14º. We've got -9º coming this weekend, and I'll be out.

PostedJan 2, 2014 at 10:34 am

Yes I'm amazed at the people that laugh about using a hammock in cold weather. It's no big deal. These same people have to have insulation under them to protect them from the cold ground but somehow can't relate to under insulation using a hammock. I have only been down to 1º with 35-40 mph winds. Slept warm and toasty. Shug, the record setter in the OP, hangs in below zero temps all the time.

PostedJan 3, 2014 at 10:43 am

man shug is so hardcore. i have been out in temps at and right below 0 with windchills into the negative teens and i was pretty alarmed at the dangers of being out in the woods (much different than camping in the backyard) at those temps. i can't imagine how bitey that cold was on bare skin when it neared -40. dude is a legend.

PostedJan 3, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Must say it is pretty impressive. Watching him and the video, gotta say that i think a lot of it is in the mind. He's got a very positive, directed focus and will, and apparently doesn't believe in the impossibility of being out in those temps.

As impressive as he is, doesn't hold a candle to folks like Wim Hof, who take it to a whole nother level and seem to defy the scientific consensus/belief system of what a human body should be able to survive, let alone "tolerate".

PostedJan 3, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I was out a couple weeks ago in -8F in a hammock up in NH. Very comfortable. Used several pads underneath me, a nice warm down quilt on top, plus the usual down pants and parka. No big deal. The colder it is, the more down you bring.

ETA: not sure I'd want to do -40F.

PostedJan 3, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Yah, but there is a pretty big difference between -8 and -40…

Exposed skin at -40 can get frost bite pretty fast.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Shug is amazing on so many levels :)

Do they make down cabins?

I've been out in -20F with ice hanging off my mustache, but I slept in a nice cabin with a Fisher wood stove going full blast.

PostedJan 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Last night got to -6 or lower in my hammock. Tonight it's -15 with a higher windchill. I'll report back… IF I SURVIVE

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...