Topic

Dried Kim Chee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Will Webster

@willweb

Since my "local" Trader Joe's is 80 miles from the house, it's always an adventure to shop there. On my latest visit I picked up a packet of dried Kimchee. Any thoughts on an FBC dish incorporating it? I should probably add that my wife / tent mate isn't convinced that buying it was a good idea.

jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

not sure what 'FBC' means, but the most obvious use would be to drop the kimshee into any soup or pasta dish – it would really work well. You could also try to hydrate the kimchee and then either fry it or grill it – tasty and more exotic use.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Craig W started a thread on this a while back so hopefully he'll have something to add here. I've only had Kimchee by itself as a side but it seems to me that it'd be a great addition to some Pho. I'm sure there are some Korean and Vietnamese chefs cursing me right now.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I keep wandering by that display for Kimchee. I gotta just take the plunge ;-)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

You'd think it would kill Trader Joes or Whole Foods to open a store in the Tri Cities. Closest one is over 2.5 hours away in Issaquah.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

@ Jeff – FBC = Freezer Bag Cooking (More like rehydrating with hot water in a ZL Bag, but whatever).

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Wow. That is a long commute if you want goodies. And here I whine about my 20 minute commute from Maple Valley on back roads to Issaquah ;-)

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Don't do it! Once you've tried it, you'll never be able to pass by the display again. And if you're like me, you won't be able to plan on using it as an ingredient. In my food bag, it would never last long enough to get into a pot or freezer bag. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

and dig it up years later?!? ;^)

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

around here we call it "caching"

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

I love tj's dehy kimchee. I use it in a one pot recipe. Mix with ramen, bag of tuna, and it makes a great spicy soup.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

You can definitely put it in with ramen or rice noodles.
    Good with rice
    Good on pizza (though not a FBC sorta thing)

Love me some kim chee. And there's so many varieties to choose from!

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

Heck yeah it does:

Pack of Ramen noodles (ditch the flavor pack)
    Half a package of Knorr dried vegatable dip
    Half a cup of peanuts
    Half a package of dried kimchi
    Small handful of jerky scraps

So good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools