Topic

Your thoughts on the operating limits for your shelter (or shelters)

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Stephen M BPL Member
PostedJan 1, 2014 at 11:49 am

Folks,

Happy New year to everyone.

I would like to hear what folks perceive as the operating limits of their various shelters are.

For example tent A is good for 30mph winds and a few inches of snow, but for anything more I would rather take tent B, or Tent A is excellent for buggy/balmy summer nights but tent B is a sweltering sauna.

I will start the ball rolling by adding my thoughts on my most used tent.

My Hilleberg Kaitum 3 is a great all year round shelter due to the excellent venting and full sized mesh doors panels, it can only handle moderate snow loads if not cleared of snow every couple of hours durimg the night (as with most tunnels) if the end is pitched in to the wind it can take 60mph but at 40mph pitched broadside it gets a bit loud, I do plan to purchase an extra set of poles for it at some stage, it is heavy tent at about 3.2kg but split between 3 its very manageable, I have tried to get my wife/buddies to use a lighter shelter but they much prefer the Kaitum.

Cheers,

Stephen

Dena Kelley BPL Member
PostedJan 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm

My four season tent is a Moss Odyssey, but I've spent more nights in snow shelters than I have in the Moss. Snow shelters are quieter, and warmer, than tents. The Moss, despite having excellent ventilation options,condensates badly. But I'd trust it in most winter conditions. I don't plan on being out in any blizzards, or climbing Denali, though.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedJan 2, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Thanks for posting folks,

Dena,

I agree a snow shelter is the best place to be in the cold :-)

PostedJan 2, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hammock (basic polyester hammock w/ MLD Silnylon tarp):

<40MPH winds, -20ºF temps
No Snow

Tent (Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum:
<60MPH winds, -30º temps
<12in Snow

So, what I need/want is a pyramid shelter:

Ideally, <70mph gusts, <2ft snow, -40º or lower temps.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedJan 2, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hey Max,

That's one messed Avatar ;-)

Sounds like you need a Golite sl3 for you and your new friend for cosy winter trips :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...