Topic

Gear sacriledge: book bag on the trail?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I picked up a Jansport Wasabi backpack in a thrift store yesterday for about $6 and after giving it a bath and drying, I gave a good critical look as trail gear.

It looks like a typical school book bag, with three large zippered pockets down the front and a smaller audio pocket up top with a headphone port. There are two smaller pockets inside and a key lanyard. There is a mesh water bottle pocket on the right side that will hold a one liter Nalgene or a bit larger.

The shoulder straps are well padded with Jansport's Aircore foam and have an ergonomic s-curve. In the best UL tradition, there is no sternum strap nor a waist belt. There is a small stretch mesh pocket at the top of the right shoulder strap that opens to the bottom. This was a mystery, but I eventually found a review that identified it as a cable pocket for earbud headphones. Clever. The back panel is padded and has some vertical stitching with a smooth fabric cover.

The pack bag itself is 600 denier polyester and 420 denier nylon. This looks like fairly tough stuff– more so than the typical silnylon pack cloth. With a 29 liter capacity, the zinger is that this pack only weighs 17 ounces.

I could see using this pack for day hikes and even SUL-ish summer overnight trips. I think it has as much load carrying ability as any UL frameless pack without a hip belt, in fact maybe better considering the 3" wide and well-padded shoulder straps.

In fact, I can't find anything that would prevent me from using this pack on the trail. I wonder what else is out there with comparable features, weight and cost?

Caveat: this is an older version that does not have a laptop pocket, adding about 7 ounces.

Jansport Wasabi backpack

Jansport Wasabi backpack

PostedDec 31, 2013 at 7:09 pm

..now backpacking is limited to specific brands and OEM use designations? Go with what works man, and the rest is just noise.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2013 at 7:22 pm

"now backpacking is limited to specific brands and OEM use designations? Go with what works man, and the rest is just noise."

My point exactly. Fashion rears it's not so pretty head in UL backpacking too. The real point is that someone can enjoy UL backpacking without dropping $1000 on toys.

Jansport had an advertising slogan years ago: "Get out, while you can!"

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Nice find.

I was lamenting to an REI store employee (as I stood in front of a display of $60 to $120 book bags) that I wished there were still $19 to $29 book bags that were sturdy, comfortable, lifetime warrantied, WITHOUT have laptop sleeves, hydration bladders, "hip belts" that support no weight, and five different organizer pouches – like Caribou used to make. He pointed out that Caribou is no longer in business. Point taken. Grudgingly.

Especially for a family trip, you have a certain amount of volume and a certain amount of weight that has to be carried. Book bags can be a valid part of the solution. You can put more weight in that Jansport than a pre-teen should carry, so why drop $100 on a "UL" pack?

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Another thrift store find was an MEC book bag. I was feeling okay with a $15 find as a very good urban day pack only to locate it on the MEC site for $21 Canadian. It's about 20 liters and would appear to be a kid's pack, but the shoulder straps will fit an adult male. Not bad at 490g.

Surf around here—there are more packs worth a look:

http://www.mec.ca/product/4014-834/mec-rundle-bookbag/

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJan 1, 2014 at 12:47 am

Those promo convention bags are a pet peeve of mine. I've seen tons of them in thrift stores. Sometimes they are high quality stuff like Ogio or Timbuk2, but in most cases is is junk headed for the landfill. I thought of making an offer to buy them cheap and sell the hardware as a recycled product.

The ones that really get me going are messenger bags and backpacks given out by the Sierra Club. They should give away maps or whistles or Photon lights or collapsible water bottles.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedJan 1, 2014 at 1:50 pm

>"I thought of making an offer to buy them cheap and sell the hardware as a recycled product. "

That can work. They rotate stock on a regular basis, often on a 4-week cycle. If you pay something for it, the manager may be happy to set aside whatever totes, duffle bags, and daypacks that don't sell and let you have them for $1 each. It saves them on their trash bill. Maybe bring in a trash can with images of what you want tossed in and your phone number on it for when it is full.

I ask for a deal when I need aluminum tubing. ALL thrift stores toss out lots of crutches. Last time, I got 6 crutches for $5. If I had an on-going need (cottage production of UL camp stools?), I could get it even cheaper. I'd also collect all my cut-offs for (paid) recycling.

>"They should give away maps or whistles or Photon lights or collapsible water bottles."

+1 Yes!, less crap. Spend the same money, but get high-quality stuff. What kind of image is left by dispensing crappy water bottles and totes?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...