Hey, I'm trying to plan a trip for this summer.My first thought for a destination was Canyonlands National Park in Utah, but I'm sure there's somewhere better within the same distance. So, if you could recommend the best place within 1,500 miles of Appleton, WI (where I live) that would be great. I'm thinking 10-12 days including driving. I really enjoy cliffside views and routes that run along rivers or creeks. I would LOVE to experience backpacking in the desert, but if so I'd prefer somewhere that's more of a semi-desert environment (like Utah or Colorado) to avoid extremely high temperatures as much as possible. High temps are OK if near a water source. Thanks!
Topic
Where to go this summer?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Elijah. I'd hesitate to recommend the desert during summer. Of course, summer in June and summer in August are quite different things in the west. Which you mean would facilitate further specifics.
The Grand Canyon can be quite nice in the summer if you go in with proper expectations. The north rim is very pleasent, and while temps down on the river crest 100 by late May, only hiking very early or late at the lowest elevations makes it tolerable.
You're within striking distance of Yellowstone, which has many nice rivers to hike along. If you're going in August, the Bechler would serve you well. Any earlier and the river fords are rather enormous. A loop through there, Theodore Roosevelt, and the Winds would make a good 2 weeks.
Isle Royale isn't the west, but is an excellent destination for backpacking.
For plain old backpacking, many (but not all) of the denizens of the desert go to higher forested mountains to avoid the heat. 2012 most everything was open and great thru the summer. Last year and in 2011, many forests and even some (lower elevation) river parks were closed due to fire danger or actual wildfire before the "monsoon" rains returned everything to green (early to mid July to August, maybe September).
Elijah,
Summer and deserts are a hard one. Utah is one of my favorites, but I've been camping in Utah with friends in July and it was tough – expect 100 degrees + in the day. Night is fine and comfy but for backpacking it might be tough time. The short answer is if you are looking for reasonably comfortable temperatures in the summer, and the desert, there are only a few places. You could backpack out to Telescope Peak (a well known trip) in the mountains above death valley (like 2 miles above LOL) in the summer. If you want to really enjoy it go to Utah in the shoulder seasons.
But if you are prepared for the heat, and expecting it, it is doable. Bring an aluminized style UL umbrella, and be very conservative about plans.
As others stated, more specific dates would help.
Early June in Utah could be tolerable; August would be an inferno.
Early June in Colorado would still be too snowy in most of the mountain areas, but would be perfect in late July/early August with the wildflowers in full bloom.
Wide range indeed. :)
Thanks for the replies everybody. In response to the time frame questions, I could go any time this summer. Early June – Late August. If I went with Utah in early June, how would temps and water availability be? Temps 85F and below are preferable, but I'd be okay with up to 90 as long as it was a really nice place and water wouldn't be a problem. The average high for June is 93 in Canyonlands, and average low is 60… So I think it'd be safe to say that early June wouldn't be above 90. It seems like water wouldn't be a huge problem, April and May produce the most rain.
To beat the summer heat I would go North, and look at the Winds, Yellow Stone's back country, the Bob Marshall Wilderness or Glacier NP. A couple years ago I did the CDT section through the Weminuche Wilderness in South Western Colorado in August and it was great.
You would probably live in Escalate Canyons in early June as you would have at least the potential for shade some of the day, and there should be some running water in many of the main ones. Take a look a Coyote Canyon as an example. You could go up some side canyons if you want, depending on the time. Fantastically beautiful, a few very impressive arches, one several hundred feet high, not to mention "arches to be" where are superdome-roof sized overhangs.
Paria canyon might be ok for the same reasons, but hard to get permits.
Canyonlands is good (actually my favorite NP, would prefer April) but the water is in isolated spots and you would have to check with the rangers just before for find out if it is still reliable – otherwise you will get the and have to turn around and go back – 6 or 7 miles to the last water – or carry a lot. The is Salt creek which probably with have more water.
Tons of stuff, by yes early June (at least not in the mountains) in the Colorado plateau would merely be "hot" most likely, but not-hell-on-earth hot like in august.
Hi Elijah,
I agree with both Edward and Mark. If it's August, Edward's recommendation of the Wind River Range is hard to beat; there are endless possibilities for both point-to-point and loop hikes. It would be easy to put together a 100 mile+ route if you wish, with as much or as little off-trail travel as you might desire. If you're bold and love being alone, I really like hiking in on the Bears Ear Trail and then heading either north through the lake basins on either side of Reynolds Mountain, or back and forth over the divide around Photo/Kagewah/Europe Canyon via Haley Pass. You'll need a Wind River Reservation fishing permit, but I really like some of the basins in the southwest corner of the Reservation. From this area there are easy access routes into the Fitzpatrick Wilderness, the true gem of the Winds, where trails are few and the mountains, glaciers, and creeks are magnificent!
As to Mark's suggestion, the Escalante country is magical; in many places you can hike directly in the stream, which is a blessing in the heat. His suggestion of Coyote is great, although it's quite popular. Personally I think the Pine Creek/Death Hollow area is as close as Earth gets to Heaven. In fact, Death Hollow might be the finest long summer backpack route on the Colorado Plateau, due to the abundant water and shade.
Another option not yet mentioned would be the Dirty Devil/Henry Mountains area; that would give a little of both canyon country and high mountains. I've hiked a bit through this area, it's pretty wild and not extensively travelled. Of course all this will require a vehicle. So many choices!
Cheers,
Scott
Brother, almost all of North America is within 1500 miles of Wisconsin, isn't it? :)
Jesus, the possibilities boggle the mind. If you're flexible on exactly when in the summer to go, you can go ANYWHERE. But places on MY life list include:
Glacier NP
Wind River Range (which I'll be hitting in late August this summer)
Weminuche Wilderness
Flat Tops Wilderness
Bob Marshall Wilderness
Isle Royale NP
Teddy Roosevelt NP
Sawtooth Range
Grand Teton NP
Grand Canyon (which I've done twice, but wouldn't recommend any time in the summer)
Yellowstone (though I'd definitely stay backcountry to avoid tourists)
Damn. This list is endless. Can you narrow it down? Do you want wilderness, or a park? Do you want solitude? Looking for high-altitude, or below-treeline? Or do you specifically want to hit the desert?
Isle Royale is reasonably close to you, so you'd spend less time driving and more time hiking. Likewise with Glacier NP (of the stuff I listed).
@misfit
Yes, I thought briefly to mention the Henrys, but since I have never been backpacking there I backed off. Also it didn't seem like "the ticket" for someone who is asking for semi-canned suggestions. Seems like someone from WI asking in very general term about a huge area is looking for "greatest hits". I think it is weird enough that so many of us are focusing on Utah given the area in question.
However it is on my top-5 bucket list, in spite of the fact I don't quite know why. I have circumnavigated this range on the way to several of my other trips and there is something about it that calls – they do have a romantic look to them from afar. One thing is that apparently this was the last area in the lower 48 that was mapped. I have had Michael Kelsey's guidebook on the area for a long time. Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go there soon.
Pine Creek/Death Hollow – Trip report please! LOL
Become a member to post in the forums.

