Topic

Polartec Merino Beanie with PowerDry Liner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Polartec Merino Beanie with PowerDry Liner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan French

@lifegearguy

Having a little spare down time in the middle of a Michigan winter (i.e. small sandal orders) and out of necessity, grabbed my wife's sewing machine and taught myself how to sew.

This is super light beanie that is a great EDC item as well as a liner under warmer hats on really cold days. Made a few as a stocking stuffer as well as one for myself. I love it!Wife in a beanie

(Don't tell my wife I posted this or she'll kill me). The light gray grid fleece on the under side is the same type of fabric used on the patagonia R1 and works really well. It's only sewn as a liner around the ears.

Here is an inside detail shot of the Polartec merino wool/quick dry inner…really wicks quite well, keeps my head dry!Polartec liner

Just thought I'd share! Now that I've started sewing, it's tough to stop coming up with ideas (made some neck gaiters as well as fleece camo hat for the little guy).

Ryan

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nice hat! (nicer wife, but complimenting another man's wife is always fraught with problems. :o)

I XC ski and backcountry ski and this is a good hat for high exertion activities.

Got patterns??

Jama Crawford
    Spectator

@jama

Locale: Western Slope

Nice fabric, gorgeous wife, and great hat construction. Where did you find your fabric selections? The merino wool is beautiful.

I am into making hats this winter too. I hope you will indulge my snapshot on your post.

Attached is a fleece hat I finished last week. I made two hats of same design and size – this one a heavy polar tek fleece with muchie (fuzzy) band. It weighs 2 oz. The muchie is fluffy but surprisingly heavy. If I had used the same heavy fleece as a band instead it would have come in about 1.5 oz.

The second is a lighter weight polar tek in two colors and is probably my trip hat. It weighs 1 oz and is almost as warm as this one. I didn't take a picture because it was my prototype and the head lamp hole was kind of ugly.

The hat I wanted had three features:

1. A small pocket at forehead to hold head lamp
    2. Earflaps with Velcro closure to stay on all night
    3. Good coverage across the neck which the biting wind found last season

fleece hat with muchie trim

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Both models and hats look outstanding!

I am impressed with the hats' design and quality.

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the delayed response…we had a little winter snow come through the Detroit area ;).

As for a pattern, I found it online and then modified from there. I will try to dig it up.

@Jama
    – looks great! It's a funny thing when one learns how to use a sewing machine…the possibilities become endless! Great job!

I have found a wide array of polartec materials (which I prefer for quality and all made in USA) at millyardage.com. This merino mix was on clearance and I think it is gone now, but they have quite the selection!

@Todd
    – thanks!

Ryan

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

Just to keep this thread alive…here is another hat with a grid polartec fabric and a good ole' Yukon Pass patch I bought while in Alaska a few years back.
    polartec yukon pass hat

Also, I did locate the patter that I used. It's from this site: http://lucykatecrafts.blogspot.com/2012/11/beanie-sewing-pattern.html?m=1

I did modify it to fit my needs (i.e. no flip up cuff on the bottom, different lengths depending on if sewn in ear band or not).

Ryan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools