Topic

agnew meadow late June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning agnew meadow late June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

I want to start a backpacking trip in Agnew Meadow and finish in Yosemite Valley. I will be going with my wife and kids. My kids are 8 and 10. I need to go the last week in June and first week in July. My concern is how difficult will Donahue Pass be. I don’t know how the snow pack will be this winter. Will the trail be packed down and visible from other hikers? Will I need ice cleates or crampons? I know I cannot predict the future, but if anyone has gone during this time period I would appreciate your input.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

too early to answer your questions about Donahue.
    ask again in late March or April.
    chances are there will be at least some snow that time of year, even in a low snow year. you should be able to follow tracks and cairns.
    but whether you'll need crampons/ice axe … too early to tell.

Last summer, 4th week of June, I went over Kearsarge, Glen, Pinchot, Mather, Muir, and Silver passes. All except Muir were mostly snow free.
    But 2013 was an exceptionally dry year.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

So far it is looking like a la nina year – low precipitation. But sometimes it isn't anything and the sierra get hammered in late march.

However, so far so good. :-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools