Topic

Hiking in Southern California in February… difficulty: must be warm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hiking in Southern California in February… difficulty: must be warm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

So after taking her to Yosemite and Big Bend to show her why I enjoy hiking so much, my mom is begging me to take her hiking and maybe backpacking again. It would have to be in mid-February. When we were in Big Bend, we managed to get snowed into our campground with around 2 inches of fresh snow fall, and she was cold. I loved it. She loved it too, but she complained of being very cold (to be fair, her clothes were not appropriate for the temperatures).

She wants to go somewhere in February, but insists that it must be warm. I think warm for her is over 40 at night. I tried to tell her that it's winter in Southern California as well and only places directly on the coast stay that warm, and most of the hiking is more inland and will probably average around 40 at night. She insists that I find a warm hike. I think she also wants to try backpacking, although I'm not sure she's ready for cold weather backpacking having never done it in the summer. Any ideas?

She's in quite good shape. When in Yosemite, she hiked up to Cloud's Rest and up to Nevada Falls and in Big Bend, she hiked out and back to the South Rim (~12.6 miles, 2000 ft gain).

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Mojave National Preserve, Joshua Tree (might be a bit cold), Maybe death valley

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That has Maui written all over it!

North America in February is a dice roll no matter where you go. You got to find something tropical, Mon! Haleakala at sunrise suits me well.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Death Valley should be in the 60s and 70s during the day, 40s at night. February shouldn't be as busy as Christmas Break or Spring Break. Not that it's ever busy once you leave the trailheads.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Catalina climate is above 40 F in February, and I've read reports of good weekend backpacking trips there.

http://weatherspark.com/averages/29690/Avalon-Santa-Catalina-Island-California-United-States

— Rex

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

"That has Maui written all over it! . . . Haleakala at sunrise suits me well."

We really enjoyed the cabins on the Haleakala crater but we caught it during a winter storm. Starting at 10,000 feet, it was 38F and blowing 40 mph. Good thing we brought Alaskan children with us instead of some other kind – they did great with it.Drake in fogHaleakala fog

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

" She wants to go somewhere in February, but insists that it must be warm. "

it's not like she's a wife, where you can swap them out for something better. this is your Mom, and you sort of have to make allowance for that.
    is it possible to find a awesome coast hike, with perhaps a town and motel at each end ? that way, she'd be getting warm showers at least, and not have to cook (mine retained a burning pathalogical need to cook right up until the final hours). you could load her up with a very light pack containing her clothing and kit, and you can carry just everything else.

i have no idea the condition of your Mom. mine made it up (and back down too ! ) Mt Diablo in reasonable time when she was in her mid 40's, and section hiked across the state of California at the age of 67. (tales of this trek relate many sandwiches eaten along the road, and an respectable consumption of wine downed with hiking and life friends Paul and Helen.)
    they did not camp outside in any way. but wandered backroads and small towns west to east.

that is my suggestion. a few towns, warm showers, and lots of wine.
    take good care of her. if you've got a decent one (rare in this day and age), they're the best thing ever walked the earth.

good luck ! (because even Great Mom's can sometimes be a pita),

v.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

Maui sounds awesome! I definitely want to go there. Alas, if I go there without my girlfriend (who can't make this February trip and has been talking about Hawaii for about 2 years now), I'm afraid that I will no longer have a girlfriend…

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

I'd weigh in Catalina. Unique experience. Good temps, fair weather and great views. You are never far on the island from bail out options and you can stay in hotels night one and the last. On each end of the island. You'll walk amidst buffalo, foxes, deer, and even antelope. Blue ocean, cliff side breezes and a fun experience for sure! I hike it every year and leave in a week with a group of 4 dads and 12 kids!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools