Topic

Winter backpacking in Yosemite.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Winter backpacking in Yosemite.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Anyone down to do some winter backpacking trips in Yosemite.

I was thinking of heading up to Snow Creek Lodge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m979b2wrAsE

Are there any other lodges?

We could get 2-4 of us and head up to the lodge and then maybe do some day trips with this as a base.

The lodge has a fireplace and wood and is free and open to anyone.

The caveat is that it's about 6 miles to the lodge through snow.

I don't have all my gear yet. I'm upgrading everything now and will be ready in about 2 weeks.

So still plenty of planning time.

I'm also flexible on a trip (or another lodge).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You are likely to get some blank stares by calling it the Snow Creek Lodge.

Snow Creek Cabin is what everybody calls it. I was there the first time in 1980.

A better place to stay in winter is Ostrander Hut, but it is close to ten miles in. Reservations are necessary.

–B.G.–

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

are there any other backcountry cabins you know of?

Ostrander should competition with plenty of skiers, from my understanding.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Ostrander Hut holds 23 plus the hutmaster.

Snow Creek Cabin is much smaller. I think there were only eight of us total the last time that I was there, and it filled the place. So far this year, the snow is shallow, so you can probably find the place, assuming that you pick the GPS coordinates off a good map and then follow that.

Snow Flat Snow Surveyors Cabin is small, also, and it takes a master key to the park to get in there. However, it was very cozy.

Parsons Lodge at Tuolumne Meadows was big but drafty and hard to heat up by a fireplace. Getting access is tricky. There is a naturally carbonated spring within a short walk from the door, so bring some beverage powder.

The Tuolumne Meadows Ski Hut (a.k.a. the campground office) used to have room for about eight or ten, but it is first come, first served, free, always open. If it is full, you can snow camp behind the building and step inside to warm up if you are really cold. Been there, done that.

There are other smaller places, but they are either very hard to get to or else very hard to find once you get there. Plus, some are 120-year-old miner cabins that are falling down. They are better than nothing, depending on what the weather is like.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The place that I did not mention is not currently operating for winter. Tioga Pass Resort is a mile east of Tioga Pass, right next to Highway 120. It is critically located for access to skiing in Tuolumne Meadows, even though it used to be rather expensive. Maybe it will re-open someday. Currently it is open in the summer only.

–B.G.–

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I'd like to go backpacking in Yosemite the conditions right now are perfect. In the summer we backpacked up the snow creek trail and stayed on the ridge opposite Half Dome. I'd like to do it again but I can't go until 1/11th.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

Keven,
    I'm interested send me a pm with your email and lets plan a trip.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

I'm interested in doing some snow camping trips this winter. My preference is to camp and not stay in a lodge. I have snowshoes and skis. My preference is to ski. It's way more fun! I also have a season ski pass for Badger Pass (prey for snow) to practice my downhill with back country ski gear. I purchased a new setup last season. BTW – A Badger Pass season pass includes free lodging during the winter in one of Camp Curry's unheated tent cabins.

Rick Niemi

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

sunnyside bench

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools