Topic

The Alpine Hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Alpine Hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Now, this is pretty cool! For awhile now, i've wanted to try a hammock.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> 3.) Built-in, zip-on rainfly (waterproof-breathable material)

Seriously flawed concept imho.

If the fabric is waterproof, there will be condensation on the inside under cold conditions. This is 'not negotiable'. To prevent that condensation the fabric would have to be so breathable that it would leak in a shower.

Geez, I dunno. We keep seeing this silly idea again and again. Don't people ever learn?

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I thought 'alpine' meant above treeline?.?.

Anonymous
    Inactive

From everything I've read on here about bivies and peoples experiences of same, leads to a trend that its actually the less breathable WPB fabrics that tend to have less condensation build up on the inside and the semi breathable fabrics (like m50) have more of an issue with that.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

If the fabric is waterproof, there will be condensation on the inside under cold conditions. This is 'not negotiable'. To prevent that condensation the fabric would have to be so breathable that it would leak in a shower.

Geez, I dunno. We keep seeing this silly idea again and again. Don't people ever learn?

But Roger, you can't deny that there are, and have been for a very long time, bivy sacks out there that are being used. Why would this be any different from those, other than that it hangs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools