Topic

waterproof breathable?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear waterproof breathable?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Ive been looking around for making alot of my own gear, but when it comes to a jacket I'm pretty stuck. I was thinking of the thruhiker.com liberty ridge pattern with a hood WP/B fabric, but to me the only lightweight one out there is epic, which only comes in canary yellow and isnt fully waterproof? does anyone have any ideas? I may just go for a poncho tarp but that won't really cover all my needs. My current idea stems from hopefully finding something like pertex endurance and sealing the seams nicely and getting what would seem to be a really light shell, but I wonder if it will be cheaper or lighter than something like the sierra designs nanolights.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Johathan,
    Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics sells Goretex in both 2 & 3 layers.
    You would not want to use the Libety Ridge pattern unless you only want an 8 inch zipper.
    Trying to modify it for a full zipp doesn't work very well either.
    Try the Maxima pattern. For a WPB fabric, you will want the extra breathability with the full zipp.

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

You could also try a patterns by shelby designs

http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/default.php

Look at the Andji Jacket pattern. They also sell fabric but you could buy that in the US for cheaper. The patters and shipping since they weigh little isn't bad.

I've made one of his other desgins and we say they are athletic cut and well designs. He gives you all sizes in each pattern and a fit chart.

http://www.rockywoods.com/ rockwood also sell gortex

Joe F

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools