Topic

Rain Mitt Shells

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 10:11 pm

This cuben fiber thing is getting totally out of hand, or for the hand.

I sewed up some rain mitts. These are shells with no insulation at all.

Weight, 0.2 ounce for the pair.

Good Grief!

Taping the seams wasn't going to work, so they are all sewn.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Oh, ye of little faith!

rain mitt shells, 0.74 cuben fiber

I should have taken the time to smooth the wrinkles and place some hands inside them.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I don't know, personally I think pictures of any kind might diminish the BG mystique. After the identity thief there was always question – is it the real BG? Now there is always a small residual doubt.

They do look nice, however. Any plans for a cinch or wrist strap of some kind?

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 11:36 pm

"Any plans for a cinch or wrist strap of some kind?"

I can't claim that there are plans. However, I've given it plenty of thought. The main problem is that I don't know how long I want them to end up. Plus, I don't know whether I want them to hang outside my sleeve cuffs or tuck inside. Outside or inside is dependent on whether I am using ski poles or trekking poles, because melting snow tends to run downhill.

Basically, I don't use gloves or mitts much for summer backpacking. OTOH, my hands have been pretty cold on those sub-freezing mornings. So, as they stand now, I can fit in my hands with some thin cotton inspector's gloves on. The cotton gloves weigh almost 0.4 ounce per pair.

If I use them for winter, I will need to sew up another pair slightly larger so that I can fit in some wool liners.

The bad news is that my sewing machine really doesn't like material this thin.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Part of the problem is my self-imposed target of reducing my gear base weight by one pound per year. That means that lots of perfectly serviceable gear must be set aside so that I can replace it with something a tiny bit less heavy. When I add something new that wasn't previously on the list, then I have to reduce even more. With rain mitt shells added in, I can leave out 0.2 ounce of spare socks or something.

No, Franco, these were not made out of repurposed protective material.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 28, 2013 at 12:40 am

Ah, ok then maybe with those goal in mind better to stick with rubber bands or something.

When you get to negative weight in a few years I guess you will have to take up helium balloons. Maybe you need an exponential decay over time target model rather than a linear one.

PostedDec 28, 2013 at 2:52 am

Those look really nice. Also, who's to say the real Bob Gross hasn't been replaced by one of those Gross Bobs or Bob Gross with an extra space and the real one is tied up in a basement or a trunk Mad eye Moody style?

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 28, 2013 at 10:22 am

Don't condemn the way that I sleep in the trunk of my car. It is sort of like a bear canister for humans.

–B.G.–

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...