Topic

The future of waterproof fabric?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The future of waterproof fabric?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rishi Sugla

@rksugla

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Just saw this on kickstarter. Obviously there are a lot of questions to ask involved in the weight, durability, and quality of something like this, but its pretty amazing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/741186545/a-shirt-that-cleans-itself?ref=live

Supposedly, it's breathable. I'm considering pledging the 48$ to test out the shirts. It'll be amazing to see how successful a fabric like this and any implications for backpacking gear.

Like I said- a lot of questions to be answered but cool nonetheless.

Thoughts?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My main concern is durability of the coating. There are lots of DWR ("durable water repellant") coatings out there, any of which could be used to create similar spill resistant footage because it's easy to repel water in the short term. The challenge is always to create a coating that lasts through abrasion, repeated washings, contact with non-repellable liquids etc. This kickstarter project doesn't really address this issue. For example, are body oils repelled?

If a coating like this could be developed that is durable in the long term, then it would eliminate the need for a WP/B membrane and usher in a new era of waterproof fabrics with much higher breathability. One day it probably will be, but these guys don't appear to have actually put much R&D into their shirts so I doubt they stumbled across it.

Rishi Sugla

@rksugla

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Agreed. They did claim that the coating will last up to 80 washes. If that's true, that'll be very impressive. The other concerns you mentioned are certainly valid, but I'm interested to see what problems arise and what its successes are.

What makes this interesting compared to other waterproof products is that it isn't so much a coating, but rather the method the shirt/fabric is built. I've never heard of a shirt incorporating SiO2 into their fabric to make it hydrophobic.

Cool stuff!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"They did claim that the coating will last up to 80 washes."

In legalese, that simply means that the coating will not last more than 80 washes, so it will last for anything from zero to 79 washes.

–B.G.–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools