Topic

Can you recommend a water repellant down sweater…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can you recommend a water repellant down sweater…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Or maybe this would be considered a light jacket…something long sleeve, lightweight, with 2-4 oz of fill? Would prefer a water repellent down if possible. Have been looking at the W.R. LLBean sweater but it is over 1 pound and "looks heavy" (but it may not be). The Marmot Hangtime and Guide's Down are W.R., but over 1 lb 6 oz. So, still looking. Thanks!

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Sierra designs gnar light has 3 oz dridown. Mountain hard wear ghost whisperer has about 2.78. I have no personal experience with either though

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Just came across this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIaWk0b8Jro

I'm surprised there are not more reviews/tests of the various "Dry Downs" on the market. If Patagonia's Encapsil performs this poorly I would conclude the technology is not there yet.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The jury is still out for me on the value of water repellant down. I prefer to go the route of having my down pieces made with good performance shell materials. Feathered Friends makes great down pieces with performance light weight shell materials. I have found Pertex Quantum Endurance UL to be good and older FF down pieces can be had on Ebay or on sale at FF made with Epic. The FF Daybreak is a popular UL choice but I prefer the Hyperion, which weighs about 2oz more, but has about 2oz more fill. I have the Hyperion vest made with Epic fabric that is about 8oz in men's XL with about 4oz of fill. Nunatak also still makes down pieces with Epic. FF and Nunatak are very spendy, but can be had on sale, on the Gear Swap Forum, or on Ebay for good prices and their quality is great.

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

I bought one of these last week and like the fit. They are not using Dri Down, but the shell contains a WP/B membrane for water resistance.

Down fill is 3.5 oz., jacket averages 11 oz.

I have also been using the WM Flash with a merino wool base layer in 20 deg F weather here in Utah and have been comfortable with it.Flash XR

hwc 1954

@wcollings

The marmot Hangtime and Guides Down are both pretty substantial hooded winter down jackets. Not expedition weight (they are sewn-thru quilted), but definitely in the category of heavier winter jackets. Marmot's two down "sweaters" would be the Zeus (800 fill with polyester ripstop) which weighs about 15 ounces and the non-hoody version of the Quasar (900 fill with Pertex GL and weighs something under 9 ounces. Neither is "water resistant down".

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools