Topic

Waterproof Breathable Fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Waterproof Breathable Fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sam G

@sarugo

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of trying to make a rain shell and I've got some questions.

I've always heard that eVent and Goretex don't sell their membrane for MYOG purposes, but I see that OWF has both for sale at a reasonable price. Anyone tried these? How do they perform, are they the real deal? Is the 3-layer stuff they sell in silver-grey and tan Pro shell(xcr) or their original heavier stuff?

Any other recommended 3-layer WPB membranes?

I'll be using this as a climbing jacket so durability is a priority over weight.

Thanks,
    Sam

steven franchuk

@surf

From time to time people do post about their project with Event fabric. Someone does sell Event it but I don't know who.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html sells eVent

I think maybe the manufacturer restricted such sales previously but now they allow it

probably other people sell it

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think General Electric licensed it (eVent technology) out so that multiple companies could use and sell the fabric and even re name/brand it.

Not so with Gore Tex–it has to keep the name and they are very strict about who gets it, and the specifications it has to meet–especially when sold as a pre made garment.

Long time ago, i made a bivy with a bottom of Polartec Power shield fabric and top of mesh.

The idea was that in good and warm weather, the powershield went on bottom and mesh on top, and in rainy, stormy weather or cold weather it reversed. Since i always use a ground cover and some kind of pad (usually inflatable), wasn't worried about getting wet on the bottom.

It was a good idea, but the fabric is too heavy. Was before my BPL and UL days.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Sam,
    Seattlefabrics.com has 3 wp/b choices, a goretex knockoff, Ultrex (microporus polyurethane) and a softshell that combines fleece Polartec with nylon exterior and a microporous membrane.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools