Topic

BPL Cocoon Hoody Replacement ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Cocoon Hoody Replacement ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I need to replace my Cocoon hoody. It is what I pull out when I "get the to top", warm, damp, and windblown, and need to stay warm. It also gets used for about 30 minutes in camp before I turn in, and for the 30 minutes in the morning before I hit the trail.

I'm looking for something minimalist, synthetic, windproof, 1/2 or 1/4 zip, and Light (the Cocoon is 10 ounces). Pockets are not necessary, but an adjustable (front-to-back) hood is.

I can hack a full zip into a 1/2 zip if necessary.

I not interested in WindPro, or in windshirt/fleece combinations. Save those for another thread.

If anyone can confirm the clo for the Cocoon (1.68?), it would be appreciated, and will help in the apples-to-apples department.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Cumulus Climalite? http://www.sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/Climalite-Pullover,jackets,81.html
    No personal experience with it, just seen it on the net.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Greg,

The original 2009 Cocoon was 1.36 Iclo. The fall 2010 Cocoon was 2.02 Iclo.

A comparable weight/function jacket is the Rab Xenon @ 1.51 Iclo.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

I think there is something planned from astucas.com which will be released in the next time.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Richard,
    Thank you.

I have an "original".
    The Rab Xenon is at the top of my list. But I'm not finding any 2012 XLs

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

One of the pre-2013 Xenons (made with Quantum GL) is probably the best bet.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Is the fall 2010 Cocoon the one in olive green and made with the "proprietary" insulation and the 2009 Cocoon in black made with Polarguard Delta?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Brad,

Yes to the differences you described between the 2009 and 2010 Cocoon models.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Rab Xenon is probably my favorite jacket I have. My medium comes in at 10.3oz and it is incredibly warm. I love that it has very minimal quilting as this allows the insulation to stay fully lofted and very little stitching for wind to sneak in through.

I especially love the fit. I usually wear smalls, but sometimes I'm just a tad too big for a small (haven't been running as much lately), but a medium is far too large. Since this is a Euro piece, the medium fits me perfectly. It's not too tight, or too loose and I can comfortably wear a grid fleece or even my Stoic Hadron Anorak under it if need be.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

from what I can tell, arc teryx pretty much copied the design of the rab xenon exactly with their nuclei, except with their coreloft insulation, & 80 grams in the torso. The xenon has been a great peice for me and is amazingly weather/wind resistant with the non sewn through pertex GL shell design.

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

Hi there,

I'm Marco from As Tucas.

Yes, by the end of January there will be available an insulated hoody (in both jacket and pullover versions) with the same design goal and philosophy as the discontinued Cocoon garments. Momentum 50 shell, Momentum 45 liner and Climashield APEX insulation (available in 3 weights: 67, 100 & 133 g/sqm – 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0 osy). Full specs in a few days.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

just spotted your climashield pants, very nice.

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Hi Stephen,

Trousers are already available, as well as a matching balaclava: astucas.com/en/clothing.

Marco.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Good news Marco. It's great to see someone building clothing with Climashield.

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Thanks Dave!

I'm working on the logistics side too, so I'll be able to offer lower shipping costs to the USA. For large items (e.g. a quilt) the current shipping costs are almost prohibitive.

Marco.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Cheers Marco,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools