Topic

Juicer + Dehydrator

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Juicer + Dehydrator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Santa delivered a fine juicer for Christmas. My first thought was, of course, how this could increase nutrition while backpacking–but, don't want to carry heavy liquids of course.

But I do own a dehydrator. Hmm. Hmm.

You can probably see where I'm headed with this … has anyone used this combination to make high value, lightweight trail nutrition?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It would be very energy and time intensive to dehydrate juice with a regular dehydrator. You really would want a freeze dry set up for that.

Unless you had such an expensive set up to begin with, it would probably be cheaper to just buy pre made juice powders.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Juice at home, then take it with you for day 1 ;-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Wouldn't it be great if we had an affordable, home-size freeze dry machine?

Paging Mister Caffin.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Wouldn't it be great if we had an affordable, home-size freeze dry machine?"

For some reason, as I watched this, I kept thinking of David Thomas (DavidinKenai). I think he's got this kind of curious, tinkering brain, a very cool brain to have! It's 10 minutes long, but interesting and kinda fun.

YouTube video

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Interesting idea. But for what it's worth, I'm inclined to think you may be at least as well off, and maybe better, just drying the fruits and vegetables for trail consumption. Or if you want process them, turning them into fruit leathers and such.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,

Bill S.

patrick agius

@streamline

I have been juicing for breakfast for about 3 months now and love it. I have been wondering this same thing and though about trying to hydrate dried potato's with the juice and then re-dehydrating them.

My worry is how much nutrition actually carries over. Depending on the juicer, some squeeze and others shred, vitamins may degrade quickly. I have been told that the squeeze style keeps nutritional value longer than juice created by the grating/shredding style juicers.

On my last trip out, I noticed I craved a salad more than a steak when I got out of the woods. This has never happened before I started juicing.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

is that it will destroy some of the vitamins. Vitamin C is particularly vunerable. I would be concerned that too much of the "good" stuff would be lost with the heat, especially considering how much work it would be. But, it might taste better than what is commercially available. :^)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

One can dehydrate at under 112* for a "raw" dry. It will take a loooong time, but yes, it works.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Why is dehydrating juice much different from dehydrating soup?

I have heard that drying reduces vitamin C, but I also notice that my vitamin C supplements are…dry. (Dry ascorbic acid, I think.)

Roger's solution sounds more appetizing though.

I was curious about making something like "carrot leather," which sounds good to me, for some reason.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Rancho Cook is my nearest REI so I will check this out! Thank you good sir!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools