Topic

3p tents? My Google-foo is failing me

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedDec 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

Hello everyone!

I'm in the market for a lightweight, 3p tent for myself and the wife to share. The trips that we take are very low key. No huge mileage, we try to avoid bad weather, etc. Why a 3p tent instead of a 2p? The extra room is nice, and seems that the weight penalty for that extra space isn't much.

Other criteria to consider:
– I am 6'5" so must be long enough
– Must be low fiddle factor. Set it and forget it. Can't use trek poles for setup
– Less than 4 lbs would be nice
– Double wall
– Let's assume price is no object
– We will always use it in the southern Appalachians

After scouring the internet, I still haven't found anything that I'm in love with. I do like the BA Angel Springs 3 (link below), but it's a new tent so very little reviews on it yet. 3.3 lbs. Anything better out there??? All comments are welcome and appreciated.

http://tinyurl.com/l9wuu4m

Ryan

PostedDec 26, 2013 at 8:21 am

I was looking for a tent with similar conditions, and settled on a Tarptent Cloudburst 3

http://tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html

Alas, aside from a first setup it's been sitting in my closet for the past 2 months awaiting it's first trip sometime this winter.

I felt like an oversized 3 person tunnel tent made sense because front entry meant getting up without disturbing the other person, there's a ton of room (both headroom and just room) to move around and place gear, and the vestibules seem roomier.

You said double wall though, so with that in mind I would point to the Hilleberg Anjan 3

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/anjan/anjan3.php

Which is a bit heavier but from everything I've read about it, seems like an extremely solid and versatile tent.

Steve Meier BPL Member
PostedDec 26, 2013 at 10:59 am

I have the BA Fly Creek 3 that I use for 2 people. Light at 3 lbs 3 oz. Very easy set up. Single door is a bummer but that's part of why it is so light. Like mine real well. I am 6' and plenty spacious. Not sure at 6'5".

Kevin S. BPL Member
PostedDec 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I really wanted a fly creek, but at 86" there was just no way. I am 6'4" and 90" is about as short as I like to go in a tent. I also wanted floor space to throw my bike panniers in if needed. I went with the Slater UL2+. At 96", I have plenty of length. I have no doubt it would sleep two people comfortably – but there would probably be little to no extra room.

If I were looking for a tent that I would be sharing, I honestly like the looks of copper spur better than the angel springs – if it weren't for the 11oz. extra weight of the copper spur it would be an easy choice – the floor is not tapered – it maintains a 70" width throughout. It also has two doors which I think is a huge plus when sharing a small tent. The added vestibule space is nice too if needed.

Alex Wallace BPL Member
PostedDec 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Take a look at the Golite Imogene UL3.

Specs:
Type: 3-Person
Height: 44 inches / 111.8 cm
Area: 38 sq. ft / 3.53 sq. m
Vestibule Area: 8.2 sq. ft / 0.76 sq. m
Packed Dimensions: 5 x 19 inches

Features:
Three-season and free-standing ultra-light backpacking tent
Single door and vestibule
Factory-taped seams using waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOCs)
Pre-Attached rear guy line for field ready performance
Additional reflective guy points for stability and visibility
Durable YKK® zippered door with snag-guard, Velcro® & snap closures
High internal gear loops for clothes lines and hanging items
DAC Featherlite (R) NSL pole system with press fit connectors, lightweight hubs and eco-friendly anodizing
DAC TH72M Aluminum poles
Single hub design for quick and easy setup
No-See-Um Mesh body keeps the smallest bugs out and lets the air flow
Floor and fly feature ultra-light rip stop nylon with a 1200 mm waterproof coating
1200mm waterproof polyurethane-coated nylon bathtub style floor
Color-coded webbing on tent body and fly for easy setup
Waterproof stuff sack
Pitches with 4 stakes, packaged with 8

Materials:
10 Denier Ripstop Nylon Fly
20 Denier Ripstop Nylon Floor
Silicone/PU 1200mm Waterproof Fire Retardant Coating
15 Denier Polyester No-See-Um Mesh
TH72M-6 Aluminum Poles
TH72M-6 Aluminum J-Stakes

It did really well in strong winds on my trip last summer.

PostedDec 27, 2013 at 6:08 am

Also check out Big Sky revolution 3P. Not sure if length will work but I would email and make sure of specs. It's a little confusing as to what is what. (love their tents, but hate their website). Good luck.

Paul Hatfield BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 9:56 am

@Alex: Looks like you got a very taught pitch on the body of your Golite Imogene UL3. Impressive. I'm not a fan of the color, and I'm not sure about integrated pole sets, but the tent seems to have a lot going for it. Do you have more photos of it?

d k BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 10:07 am

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/triplex.shtml

Looks very interesting, but expensive – but you DID say to assume price was no object.

Oops, didn't see your exclusion of trekking poles. I guess you could always bring along separate CF poles for the tent and still be in under the weight of most anything else. Also, not strictly double wall but IMO still worth considering.

Tad Englund BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I use a BA UL Copper Spur 3 for my wife a and I or me and my two youngest (16 and 17 yr olds at the time) if we are winter camping on the coast or in rainy 3 season weather.
It has a 90" floor so your heigth shouldn't be a issue.

It was a little tight for the three of us but we are family so it wasn't a big deal. My son was about my height then (6'2.5") and he weighed 220 lbs, I'm 175, and my daughter was 5'6" and 110 lbs.Grace mac ozette

Paul Hatfield BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 12:34 pm

@Alex: Wow, that looks as tight as a drum. Your photos are making me want to buy one. Does the rear end of the fly lift up for ventilation? What made you decide to get rid of it?

The GoLite Imogene UL3, the Big Agnes Fly Creek 3, and the Easton Kilo 3P are almost exactly the same weight. I'd love to see a shootout between them.

BER — BPL Member
PostedDec 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Happy owner/user of a Tarptent cloudburst 3. My requirements were much like those of the OP, and I was a bit apprehensive of the single layer (never having had one), but my worries thus far have been unfounded. Great ventilation and half the weight of our Hilleberg Kaitum3.

Alex Wallace BPL Member
PostedDec 28, 2013 at 12:30 am

Paul,

The rear end of the tent's fly can be lifted up. The trick is to slack up on the rear two adjustable corner stake out points before you try to roll the fly up.

I actually sold the Imogene UL3 to fund the purchase of a new Golite Shangri-la 3, which I plan to buy soon. There really isn't anything that I specifically didn't like about the Imogene. I just can't afford to have two shelters that serve the same purpose and I've always wanted to try the SL3.

The one point that, to me, clearly gives the Golite Imogene UL3 the edge over the other tents you listed is that the drip line on the entrance of the tent does not allow vertical rain to enter the tent when opened.

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedDec 28, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! I had not even thought about the Imogene 3 from GoLite. I will take a look at it and the other suggestions as well.

Ryan

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Nemo espri 3p tent is on clearance at REI right now. This is a smaller, light 3p tent so it might be good for 2 people.

http://www.rei.com/product/866073/nemo-espri-le-3-tent-2013-closeout,-green?preferredSku=8660730001&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8660730001&mr:trackingCode=6B9E887E-C2FE-E211-A755-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=36518443240&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=49482433600&msid=gZlmY9dM_dc|pcrid|36518443240|&{copy:s_kwcid}

The nemo losi 3p (a bigger 3p tent) got a best-of award from Backpacker mag. – take that with a grain of salt.

Nemo tents are well crafted, but conventional, usually free-standing, and tend to be pricy when they are not on closeout.

Nemo is not cottage, so if that matter to you …

Sure you will get many suggestions. The espri price looks pretty good right now for what it is.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Loading...