I'm using the Sawyer mini attached to a 1L platty that gets stowed in my pack's side pocket. I drink more water with a hydration tube so I have added one to the top of the mini. I used to use a Sawyer 3-way filter and 2L platty stowed inside my pack, yet it was a pain to dig out the 2L each time I needed to refill. My standard procedure was to fill the 2L and get back on the trail.
Like Matt mentioned, using the filter on top of a Smart water bottle or standard water / pop bottle will collapses the container when the water is consumed so you will have to untwist the filter to let some air back in and help it regain its shape. I was able to eliminate this issue when I switched over to the 1L platty. I can now consume 95% of the water in the 1L platty without having to touch the filter. The platty still collapses as I consume the water, yet, I believe given its shape, the water flows right until it is about 95% empty.
My new approach when using this system is to drink 1L "at the water source" and only add another 0.5 L to the 1L platty. Obviously, this is based on relatively close water sources. If needed, I will fill the 1L completely. This new approach works great for me because it has made fill-ups easier and much faster, I still can use a hydration tube which helps me drink more water, I don't have to untwist the filter all the time, it is much easier to know how much water I have left, and not only is my complete water system lighter than in years past, I now carry 3.3 less pounds of water on most days.
Lastly, I originally thought I would have to make a slightly longer straw tube as the 1L platty is taller than the squeeze bag that comes with the mini, however, the straw that comes with the mini works just fine when connected to the bottom of the filter.