Topic

Flying With Trekking Poles – TSA Response

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Flying With Trekking Poles – TSA Response

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

A proposal was made early this year to allow many previously forbidden items (ski poles, hockey and Lacrosse sticks, pocket knives) to be carried through security and onto domestic flights. I asked a TSA supervisor at Portland International Airport about the status of said proposal today. The salient points were:

1. The proposals were not approved.

2. Trekking poles may only be carried onto an aircraft if they are needed for mobility (similar to using a cane) purposes. They must be collapsible to fit in overhead bins.

3. Trekking poles for recreational use can not be carried on – they must go in checked baggage.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

What proof is required re: Salient point #2?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Probably some document from a physician or other.

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

> What proof is required re: Salient point #2?

A convincing limb?

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

FWIW, Several years ago I was turned away trying to carry on trekking poles that were packed in the outside pocket of my pack. Since then, I have switched to using Black Diamond Ultra Distanc Z-Pole, which I fold up and pack inside the pack. I've flown with those many times and have never had an inspector ask to open the pack. I bought that model specifically to enable me to do carry-on.

In the first instance I had a knee injury and my knee was visibly swollen up like a grapefruit. The agent was having none of the "needed for mobility" even though my injury was obvious. I was told that if I had mobility problems I would need to register for wheelchair delivery to the plane.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

when we went to Yellowstone last summer I was forced to check my bag but took my trekking poles and fishing poles and checked them into the overhead compartment.

Didn't have a problem…

That's weird.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Depends entirely on the TSA "crew of the moment".

But you can't depend on the answer being yes. Denver is NO 99% of the time.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

TSA agents are too fickle. You never know if one will say yes and if another one will say no.

It may be just as easy to ship any gear that is suspect ahead to a PO, hostel or motel.

YMMV

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If I end up wanting to travel with a basic pocket knife or other contraband, it is the same issue. So I check a bag with all the things that are problems at the security line and my cameras, electronics and enough clothes to get me through a day or two of lost luggage get carried on the plane with me.

For stateside travel, you could do a "hold for pickup" at a local post office, just like a thru-hiker's bounce box, grab it on the way out of town and mail it home on the return.

If it was just a Swiss Army knife and international travel, I could just pick up something on the other side of the pond. I do hate baggage claim! We like to travel with one bag, Rick Steves style, using convertible pack/suitcases at maximum carry on size. We went to Europe on a winter trip and I stretched things a bit, getting on the plane with a couple extra layers and shedding them the second I got to my seat. Rules are for stretching ;) If they allow two bags, I'm all over that with a small day pack and my convertible.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

There is this thing called- checked baggage for the stuff you can't carry on

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Yes but of course most airlines are now charging $25 per checked bag. It's cheaper to mail the poles.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I took an adjustable aluminum cane with me to hike in Scotland when my back was sore. Very sturdy tool and no problem taking it on the plane.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools