Topic

Water Bottle Pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Water Bottle Pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Using a water bottle as a pillow is not a new idea. This 96 ounce Kirkland (Costco)grape juice bottle with the flattened mid section, however, works so well I couldn't resist posting.

The flat section is much easier on the head than a rounded water bottle pillow.

The raised edges at either end of the flat section keep my head correctly placed on the pottle? billow?

It weighs just under 3.5 ounces.

x

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Roger,

Doesn't roll away.

Haven't really incorporated into my system in a routine way. Would see it as a dirty water container, however, and use it empty or filled.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

All the water where I camp is ice cold… even in the summer.
    Brain Freeze!

But if you're going to use a water bottle, why not one of the various bladders? softer and maybe even lighter.

Billy

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Billy,

Good points. Don't have enough experience to know about the brain freeze. I've slept several nights with the Costco bottle but it was empty each time. I'm thinking that almost anything between my head and the pillow would solve the problem but I can't say without more experience.

No experience with the bladders. I have tried and given up on air pillows (and air mattresses and water beds), however. There is something about them that just doesn't work for me. I like something more solid. So I'm thinking that bladders might not work for me either.

Just checked out my bladder collection. They are flexible and tend to flatten out when laid on the ground. It would take a very large bladder to give me the approximately 5" of elevation that the rigid Costco bottle provides.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haven't tried the water bottle pillow yet myself. But i have found a couple of alternatives which work decently for me and thought i might mention them.

MYOG Kapok pillows. They have the right balance between firmness, compressing some, and light weight. If you're interested, i can make you one or send you some Kapok fiber for you to make yourself one for price of shipping.

A cheap, travel neck pillow that snaps at the neck and is filled with micro beads. I like this because in colder weather, keeps my neck nice and warm and no matter what, i don't lose the pillow.

Both are much better than the other kinds of pillows i've tried. I also tend to not bring much extra clothes, or wear most or all clothes when sleeping, so i don't do the stuff the bag with clothes thing.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Just,

Thanks for the kapok offer but I don't think I'd use it. I carry enough stuff so the "stuff the bag with clothes" thing is still my go to pillow if I don't have anything with me that's better.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Hi all,

You are right, the water bottle or water bladder idea is certainly not new. I've been using mine for years and am very happy with same.

Pillow 1
    The picture above shows how round, thick and soft my "pillow" looks like.

Pillow 2
    Thickness shown even better.

My "pillow" is made out of 4 different components (ALL multiple use): my water bladder (2.0 L Platypus), a Buff (as pillow case), the blue item inside is my Cocoon vest and in between the bladder and the vest is a MYOG back-protector (not seen). This last item is part of my TFD backpack and has 4 different uses), it can be separated from same and is very useful in my pillow system to avoid the vest from "sliding down".

Pillow 3
    The TFD "back protector" in use with my MYOG backpack.

The vest is my only spare part of the clothes I take into the mountains and if it really becomes cold at night, I'll wear it. In that case, I'll put my shoes under the Platypus, although that certainly isn't as comfortable. I must say it doesn't happen very often.

I always use the Platypus almost completely filled with clean water. Having the Platypus nearly full, gives it enough thickness and firmness; the clean water brings an added advantage: I don't have to filter any water in the morning before I can have breakfast (and morning coffee).

Billy Ray: >But if you're going to use a water bottle, why not one of the various bladders? softer and maybe even lighter.<
    It certainly will be lighter; my Platypus is only 36 grams (1.27 oz).

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Henk,

Nice combo.

What's tfd stand for?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Probably The Flying Dutchman (see Henk's username).

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Somebody (can't remember who) called me The Flying Dutchman many, many years ago and when I started making my own gear (also quite a few years ago), I used the abbreviation of same to make my logo, so William is indeed right in supposing that TFD = The Flying Dutchman.

Logo TFD

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

Like Henk, I've been using my 3L platy as a pillow for a while. Although I usually just pile my pants and jacket on top. I really like the idea of using a fleece(?) sleeve to keep it all bound and piled neatly. What a great idea. Now if only I could sew …

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Nate: >I really like the idea of using a fleece(?) sleeve to keep it all bound and piled neatly. What a great idea. Now if only I could sew …<
    Don't need to sew. Mine is an "ordinary" store-bought Buff. :)

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

I am ashamed to say that I had no idea what a Buff was until just now.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I think I've settled on wrapping the sitlight pad from my GG Murmur around my Smartwater bottle and attaching it with the side compression shockcords off the pack. Feels comfy and seems warm enough so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools