Topic

Found plastic container that holds boiling water

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Zero Flight BPL Member
PostedDec 21, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Every now and then I see a thread about someone trying to put boiling water in a peanut butter jar, only to see it melt & shrink. For anyone who still wants to use that kind of container, I found one that works – marshmallow fluff jar.

I was making fudge today and one of the ingredients was marshmallow fluff. In cleaning out the plastic jar, I found it didn't become soft with hot tap water. So I filled it with water and stuck it in the microwave for 3 minutes. The water was good and boiling when I pulled it out, with no change in stability or size. Hot of course but still sturdy.

I don't know about other brands but the one I used was the mason-jar shaped one with a red lid and light-blue/white label. It didn't seem to have a brand other than Marshmallow Fluff.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm

For years now, my standard backpacking bowl/mug is a recycled food package that holds up perfectly for boiling water or hot food. #5 polypropylene

–B.G.–

PostedDec 22, 2013 at 7:33 am

PET (polyester) comes in a range of types. Some are much more resistant to heat than others. Some frozen food comes in PET packing that's intended to go into the oven.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...